150 amp to 200 amp entrance service

Old 03-18-14, 10:15 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
150 amp to 200 amp entrance service

I have a 150 amp entrance panel from Home Depot (Square D HOMC30UC). I want to upgrade from 150 amp service to 200 amp service. I know I have to change the entrance cable however can I use the same panel box and just change out the breaker from 150 to 200?

Anybody know the answer or how to get it?
Old 03-18-14, 10:36 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 65,100
Received 3,982 Upvotes on 3,574 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I believe that part number is for the cover. But we get the idea. You want to put in a 200A breaker instead of the supplied 150A one. Most 150A and 200A panels are the same but that is only a 30 circuit panel.

It should state inside the panel on a label the maximum amperage of the panel.
Old 03-18-14, 10:46 AM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,979
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Correct, that is the cover number.
Old 03-18-14, 02:34 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 16,321
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
What major additions to the house electrical load are you considering that would make a service upgrade necessary?
Old 03-18-14, 05:30 PM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 9,872
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
150 amp entrance panel from Home Depot (Square D HOMC30UC).
Why don't you return it and buy a 200 amp panel.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: