2 breakers controling one light.

Old 03-19-14, 06:54 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 breakers controling one light.

I have 2 circuit breakers that kill the power to one light. I have read here where people have to trip two breakers to get the power turned off to a light but that is not my case. When I trip one breaker it turns off A,B,C, When I turn that breaker back on and I trip another breaker it turns off B,E,F. Is this an issue that needs to be dealt with. I don't have any other issues with any of the electrical in this house. I'm just curious if this poses a problem?

Old 03-19-14, 07:05 AM
A
Received 274 Upvotes on 250 Posts
So turning off the first breaker does not affect E and F, and turning off the second breaker does not affect C and A?

Are these ordinary ceiling lights and/or wall lights (sconces)?

Are there two separate wall switches for light B also, that do not work as a 3 way switch setup?

So far I cannot think of any wiring arrangement that would cause the above behavior, with the exception of a "shared" porch light for two apartments where the power for the light is paid for by whomever is using it. Some fancy circuitry is done for that. Was or is this house a duplex apartment?

Yes there could be a code violation in the wiring but I can't think of what it would be.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-19-14 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-19-14, 11:26 AM
D
That is correct, these are ordinary lights. There is only 1 wall switch for B. This is a single Family Home 9 years old.

Old 03-19-14, 02:05 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
It is often a mis-wire at a switch box that has power from two breakers in it. One place I have seen it is a three way switch at the top and bottom of stairs. One are both of the 3-way boxes may be double gang containing a second switch that is on a different breaker. One I found the crossover seemed to be bleeding through the insulation on one wire to another despite no apparent damage to the insulation. Pull out all the switches and check for incorrect connections. If none found test with the switches still pulled out and wires well separated.

Old 03-19-14, 02:57 PM
D
Thanks, I will try that and get back with my findings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: