ground rod questions

Old 03-20-14, 07:19 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ground rod questions

1. What tool can I rent to drive a ground rod? I saw an electrician do it recently with a battery powered hand tool. I don't want to use a large jackhammer or something unwieldy like a sledge hammer.

2. I was going to run the GEC in PVC. I have seen those brass straps that are used with EMT. What type of fitting do I use where the GEC enters the PVC right at the ground rod?

Old 03-20-14, 08:35 AM
D
There is a way to do it just digging a small hole, fill with water and bump the rod up and down with your hands. It worked for me sinking an 8 foot rod into clay.

Old 03-20-14, 08:38 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
A hammer drill will work. They make a tool that fits in the drill chuck or if it is a half inch hammer drill and a " ground rod you can try just chucking it in the hammer drill.

Old 03-20-14, 11:29 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 414 Upvotes on 368 Posts
Depending on your soil type, I've found a 5lb sledge and a 2' long 1x4 with a 1" hole drilled in one end works wonderfully. Use the hole in the 1x4 to hold the rod so your fingers aren't in striking distance of the sledge. Works even better with two people.

Haven't had the chance to try a hammer drill, but I understand they make it quite easy!

Old 03-20-14, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 861 Upvotes on 724 Posts
I just used a hammer drill to beat a ground rod through 4' of frost. Was fairly painless.

Old 03-20-14, 12:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
An acorn fitting is used to connect the GEC to the rod. No fitting is needed on the PVC.

Old 03-20-14, 03:19 PM
Z
I did it the old fashioned way... with my sledge hammer. It worked fine surprisingly and I got a work out too.

An acorn fitting is used to connect the GEC to the rod. No fitting is needed on the PVC.
There is a 1/2" pvc LB less than a foot from the ground rod. I haven't glued anything to LB on outside but have a 6" stub coming out of it.

So the acorn clamp and then run bare conductor thru the 1/2 pvc stub on the LB with no fitting?

Reason I ask is all the time I ever seen a ground rod with rigid metal I see the brass strap in addition to the acorn clamp.

IN REGARDS TO BONDING
The 1/2" PVC runs up to an empty 1900 box which EMT then goes into the subpanel. The #8 (with insulation) will run thru that 1900 box (no other wires). That emt is connected with a standard locknut setscrew connector....

What provisions do I have to make for bonding because of the metal box and short run of emt?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: