AC Frequency Failure

Old 03-20-14, 02:48 PM
AC Frequency Failure

I have a computer UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), not the shipping company (United Parcel Smashers)
And the past couple of nights the monitoring program is saying "AC Utility Frequency Failure Use Battery power at " It usually happens at around 1:30AM for 1 Second
I can actually hear the relay click and the unit beeps also the LCD lights up just like when the power goes totally out so it is doing something
but my question is
Is my UPS failing
1. The Battery
2. The actual unit
3. An actual ac power event

I have measured the frequency with my Multimeter and it is spot on at 60HZ but my P3 Kill-a-Watt says 59.9 (I however don't trust the P3 Unit)

Is there something I should do about this?
I don't notice any other symptoms like lights dimming, brightening or motors slowing, etc

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-14, 03:17 PM
Group Moderator
Some of those UPS's are very sensitive. Maybe it was a one time thing ?

I'm not sure what you can do outside maybe trying it on a different circuit.
You could check with your neighbors but they probably wouldn't have a clue what you are talking about.

Old 03-20-14, 04:23 PM
Here is the One I own I have had it for about 6 years now so I am thinking it's about time for a new battery because as a test I went and turned off the power (By the circuit breaker) and the unit immediately shut off with no warning and when I turned it back on it says "Power Outage for xx Seconds" but it did not stay on even for that amount of time also the battery went down to 42% in that short amount of time to about 11.1 Volts so I am thinking new battery time.
The only time I had a 'real' outage of time was when Sandy storm hit (I was without power for 5 days) so I was using it to charge my cell phone and flashlights. So I think that and the combination of old age is to blame

Also if I was to buy another UPS Unit what would you recommend? as brand model

Edit:
I had another battery that I tried from another Unit that would not power up at all (Another CyberPower)

and when I turned off the breaker it stayed on with that good battery that was on a trickle charger that battery is however too big to fit inside my unit
So I guess I just need a new battery

Where can I get a new battery?
RB1280A (CyberPower's number)
12V 8.5AH (On the actual battery)
The one I tried says 12V 10AH but it will not fit into the UPS unit

Old 03-20-14, 04:37 PM
I agree a new battery is definitely due and if you really want to you can modify yours to use a marine deep cycle battery. As for it clicking around 1:30, at my old house I would always notice the lights would get slightly dimmer and the fan would slow slightly around 10:30 every night. I believe it was either caused by power company switching turbines off due to decreased load or the local aluminum factory and thought nothing of it. I don't notice it here much, but all of my lighting is LED anymore and on a UPS.

I prefer to use either Tripp-Lite or APC. APC's Smart UPSes are real nice. Another thing you can do if you like toying around is get an inverter-charger and some deep cycle batteries.

Old 03-20-14, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Lead acid batteries used in limited cycling like that are expected to last 3-5 years. At one point you could actually get the full time plus on a lead acid battery but those days are gone. With almost all of the lead acid batteries being imported now.....the quality has taken a tumble.

This battery should fit your unit. There are places all over the internet selling them.
Amazon: 12V 8.5AH Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) Battery for Electronics

Old 03-20-14, 07:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think a brief frequency event is anything to worry about.

Many UPSes have configuration parameters to make them more or less sensitive to frequency, low or high power events. Maybe you can configure the UPS to be a little more lenient of power fluctuations.

Old 03-21-14, 07:16 AM
I think it is a utility power event.

Some uninterruptible power supplies will switch to backup (battery) power upon detecting a loss of just two or even just one cycle's worth of incoming power. The has to be some threshold, and the whole point of a UPS is to not have a few seconds with no power while a backup system or generator gets started.

Old 03-21-14, 08:18 AM
The software that came with the UPS is very basic
it has no settings to adjust anything except automatic on/off times (Which I don't use)
The only other thing I can do is initiate a self test which will now fail due to a bad battery (With the bigger battery it will pass fine)

The computer I have is fairly old but I built it myself out of parts I bought online
AMD Athlon II 635
12GB Ram
2TB Hard Disk (Spinning disk)
AMD/ATI HD5450

so at idle it draws about 143 watts (That is with my monitor on) but when encoding video or other intensive tasks it will go up to about 224-232 Watts

My question can I use the bigger battery? I know it will not fit inside the unit but can I extend the 12V DC cables so I can put the battery behind the unit?
The cables are Red/Black 14AWG with a .250 connector
I can make the cable myself but my question is it safe to add another 6" or so of each cable (I am worried about it overheating or voltage drop)

I don't have power outages very often here now that the POCO put in a new transformers and some lines

I mostly have brown outs and voltage dips

I have no backup generator so the UPS just helps me save my work (If any )
and do a normal shutdown of the computer

Yeah the frequency alert was just a one time occurrence as I looked in the log file and it says it only used the inverter once

Old 03-21-14, 08:35 AM
I used 4 feet of 10awg for mine.