power connection to surveillance cam

Old 03-20-14, 03:57 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
power connection to surveillance cam

I'm planning on installing the particular surveillance camera as shown in the link below. The camera will be outdoors about 140 feet from the building where power is available. Currently there is no power at the planned camera site, so my intent is to run household power close to the camera where there can be a connection for the AC24V input shown as cable 1 (on page 3 figure 2.1 in the document shown in the link). I advance of acquiring the camera I'm trying to determine how that cable 1 connects to the power. If I have an regular electrical receptacle for power I don't get how that cable 1 makes the connection to it. Does that single cord to which all six of those cables junction go to the camera or does it have a plug on the end which plugs into an electrical receptacle? I'm confused.
ftp://ftp.veilux.net/Veilux%20New%20...X%20Manual.pdf

Old 03-20-14, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Cable 1 has a two conductor set screw junction block attached to it. You just run your two power wires to that block. You'll either need a wall wart or some type of 24v power supply to run the camera. The specs say 13 watts for a camera. That's just over 1/2amp. It also goes on to say 24vac at 2500ma which is 2.5amps. Did they come with any power supply ?

I see a few issues I'm just going to bring up.

1) It says IP type camera yet it says on page 5 that the network cable is NA ?
2) It looks like those cameras are PTZ (pan-tilt-zoom) capable cameras but you may need a separate RS-485 controller as cable 5 shows an input for control. I didn't see anywhere in the info that you could control the functions via IP.
3) You will have to aasign an IP address to each camera before connecting them to the switch. This is standard with all IP cameras. The default address is listed.

Old 03-20-14, 07:06 PM
You'll either need a wall wart or some type of 24v power supply to run the camera. Did they come with any power supply ?
Glad you noticed that, PJ. No it doesn't come with any power supply so I'm assuming I could use the "2M-24VAC-60" as shown on the following page, as it seems to have the proper connector which would plug directly onto the AC24V input cable:
24VAC Power Supplies for Security Cameras - 2Mcctv
But I'm not clear on the difference(s) between using that particular plug-in power supply or using a wall wart as mentioned, so a further comment about on that would be appreciated.

1) It says IP type camera yet it says on page 5 that the network cable is NA ?
?? I do see on page 4 where it says the network interface cable (#4) is N/A, but I don't see that on page 5. I'm assuming just a typo here, you meant to type page 4, not page 5?

2) It looks like those cameras are PTZ (pan-tilt-zoom) capable cameras but you may need a separate RS-485 controller as cable 5 shows an input for control. I didn't see anywhere in the info that you could control the functions via IP.
Yes, it seems obvious to me now that you've mentioned it that a separate RS-485 controller will be required for the PTZ to work (and so apparently RS-485 cable?). I'd overlooked this issue completely also. Thanks. Sorry for being so clueless about this at this point, but does that also mean ethernet connectivity is done via RS-485 cable (not CAT5e/CAT6 at all)?

3) You will have to aasign an IP address to each camera before connecting them to the switch. This is standard with all IP cameras. The default address is listed.
Yes, and this part of it is to be taken care of not by me but another person with that knowledge/experience.

Old 03-20-14, 11:38 PM
Edit to my previous post:
I do see on page 4 where it says the network interface cable (#4) is N/A, but I don't see that on page 5. I'm assuming just a typo here, you meant to type page 4, not page 5?
I see now the pdf document has page 5 as page 4 of the actual manual page, which explains the discrepancy I mentioned. Yes I don't understand why it says the network cable is N/A. I don't understand that.

Old 03-21-14, 12:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
It says there is no network connection, which most likely is a misprint, so just verify when you get the camera that it has that cable and RJ-45 jack.

It doesn't matter what power supply you use but each camera requires at least 13 watts of power. So if you are going to use a wall wart it would be a 20 watt unit and you'd need one for every camera.

You'd need to check with the company where you're getting the cameras from to see if they offer a remote camera controller as it has to match the protocol those cameras require. I usually use cat5 cable for the RS control.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: