Electric Wire in Behind SHower

Old 03-21-14, 01:44 PM
Electric Wire in Behind SHower

Greetings,

I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel and ran into a bit of an issue. When I removed the paneling and drywall behind the old shower there was an electric wire running directly behind the old shower knobs. It was offset a few inches from the plumbing so I didn't think much of it. When I removed the old mixer to install the new one, it became apparent that the new unit sits deeper in the wall than the previous one and the brass mixer would be in direct contact with the wire. In addition, it looks like the previous owner burnt the wire when he soldered the pipes because it is wrapped in electrical tape. That wire needs to move!!

My plan is to cut the wire and and add an extension that reroutes the wire around the shower assembly. The two connections would be installed in metal junction box's. Please see diagram:
Name:  Elec_Diagram.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  18.0 KB
-Blue=Old wiring
-Red=New wiring
-Dashed=my proposed setup
-Black boxes=Junction boxes
-Green=Plumbing

I know there can be weird things regarding ground wires in a bathroom. If I connect the hot and cold wires in the junction boxes and attach the two copper ground wires to the screws in the junction box do you think I am ok? Do you see any potential issues associated with this setup?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-14, 02:09 PM
Group Moderator
I know there can be weird things regarding ground wires in a bathroom.
No, not really. You do not ground the boxes to the water pipes. The boxes can not be buried in the wall. They must remain assessable. Plastic or metal boxes are okay. If the boxes are metal they would be connected to the ground wire in the NM-b.