Branch of a circuit getting power/not working

Old 03-22-14, 08:23 PM
Branch of a circuit getting power/not working

To an existing circuit I added a branch that will feed a couple outdoor receptacles. This circuit runs from main panel in basement to a junction box that feeds the new branch and a couple branches going upstairs. I made the connection at the junction box last night. Everything worked fine.

Today I turned the power to this circuit off to run the outdoor receptacles. When I turn it back on everything works except 1 branch running upstairs.

This branch is fed from basement. It runs to a receptacle which then feeds a switch (which operates a fixture) and the gfci receptacle in a bathroom a few feet away. I understand this might not be to code but this was existing situation when I moved in.

So I took receptacle apart. The feed is live here and when originally connected there was power (according to tester which has worked fine) in thr gfci and the first receptacle.

The way it was wired had the ground from the switch going to the griubd screw of receptacle and the other grounds, namely the feed and the gfci, are twisted together above the box...hard to see. The gfci is not lit and won't reset.

Sorry for long post but want to be detailed. I'm not sure if gfci ever worked but nothing I did today shouldve affected this branch. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-14, 09:25 PM
Group Moderator
There are just to many things wrong to in good conscience help you get it working.
This branch is fed from basement. It runs to a receptacle which then feeds a switch (which operates a fixture) and the gfci receptacle in a bathroom a few feet away.
Now is the time to correct this code violation. Run anew circuit from the breaker box to the receptacle in addition to the existing line. Separate the bathroom feed and connect to the new cable. If you haven't "accidentally" fixed your problem redoing those connections we will go from there.

Old 03-22-14, 09:33 PM
Sorry but just because someone else did the ghetto work doesn't make it ok. And since you are now modding that work you need to make it right... (up to code).

-=Phyber

Old 03-22-14, 09:43 PM
Group Moderator
Ditto Phyber +1.