filling gap between conduit strap and surface

Old 03-23-14, 08:30 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
filling gap between conduit strap and surface

I have about 3' of 1/2" pvc coming out of an LB and into my AC disconnect. Theres only a small portion of siding by the LB and then the rest of the run is next to the cement foundation.

Since the conduit doesn't lay flush/touching with the siding, I cannot get a strap on it.

Any idea on how I can fill the gap between the strap and the siding to secure it? Perhaps some sort of conduit "hanger"... kind of like a milford hanger or something?

BTW the run is secure, I don't think it really needs a strap but for good measure I think at least one strap on the outside of the house would be a good idea.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-14, 08:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
You didn't mention how much space you have, but a strap like this should work. We call them minis. The big boxes and hardware stores will have them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28772[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 03-23-14, 09:07 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Or use an offset nipple to bring it flush.

Name:  E995_.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  14.9 KB

Old 03-23-14, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,029 Votes on 955 Posts
Pipe support, pipe hangers, cowboys...... those hangers had a bunch of names Scott but they could be hard to get the screw in behind the conduit.

We do a lot of galvanized conduit work and the conduit not being against the mounting surface is a common problem. We use one hole rigid conduit straps. They come in all sizes and take up the room behind the conduit.

Name:  one hole.jpg
Views: 1684
Size:  17.4 KB

Old 03-23-14, 11:19 AM
C
Ive been messing around with the mini hangers like in the photo but there is not enough play in the conduit to move it, screw it in, and then place the pipe into the hanger. Because its such a short run of pvc, the pipe is very rigid.

I need a backer or filler to screw in a standard strap or like some sort of "U" fastener....

I was looking at the unistrut stuff but couldn't find something that I could make work.

As far as rays suggestion, it wouldn't be possible because of the design of the siding to snug it anymore closer with bends or offsets.... plus that would mean it would all have to be taken apart... not interested in that.

PJ- I was typing as you posted that.... As you stated, the other are tough to screw behind the conduit... well put. The galvanized dohickeys might work indeed!!! I will go to the store tomorrow and pick them up, I can picture where they are at right now!

I still have to make up about 2 inches of space though between the siding and the strap... perhaps a large bolt will make up the space.

Old 03-23-14, 11:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
You could cut a PVC pipe spacer and run a screw through it and a one hole strap.

Old 03-23-14, 11:48 AM
C
Im having trouble picturing a pvc pipe spacer... but pcboss your on the right track, that's what I have to do.... The screw must go thru something sandwitched between the strap and the siding.

Old 03-23-14, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28788[/ATTACH]

How about something like this? Spaces it out on the back side and attaches on the side.

Yeah, the minis need to be installed before you permanently install the conduit. You could just undo the wires and conduit and move it to install the mini.

Attached Images  
Old 03-23-14, 12:23 PM
C
Have those too TOlyn, that's what I originally bought thinking it would be thick enough. Again, I need to sandwitch something between the two...

Old 03-23-14, 12:37 PM
Group Moderator
You could just sandwich some washers, get some plastic, or some green treated wood. If it was me, I would disconnect the conduit and install the mini if that works. If not you can cut a small piece of conduit and sandwich that between the mini and the siding, running the screw through the middle.

Old 03-23-14, 04:01 PM
C
No luck yet. Tried the rigid spacer strap with a 3/8 galvanized coupling. Looked great but unfortunetly the 1/2 rigid doesn't work with PVC and my coupling idea for the backer was too big.... back to the drawing board.

Old 03-23-14, 04:28 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I just use a wood filler block. Rip to needed thickness from scrap 2x4 and paint to match siding.

Old 03-23-14, 05:56 PM
Received 83 Votes on 73 Posts
I was looking at the unistrut stuff but couldn't find something that I could make work.
You didn't say how much space you had between the wall and the conduit, but 7/8" strut and a 1/2" strut strap is what I had in mind.