Safe to use a 50 ft #10 extension cord

Old 03-23-14, 08:05 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Safe to use a 50 ft #10 extension cord

With a 100 ft #12 cord and not have to worry about voltage drop? I have a 15A snow blower and want to make sure it's getting as much voltage as possible. I thought everything was cool until I was told to take the length of the circuit and wiring gauge into consideration. On the front of my house I only have 15A breakers powering all the outlets using #14 solid copper wire. I don't know the total length of the entire circuit.

But I do have a 20A breaker with #12 wire about 15 ft from the panel in my basement. Its used only for the washing machine and nothing else. If it's safe I could use that outlet to run a 10 gauge extension cord to the front of my house and plug the 12 gauge into that to power the blower...?

Old 03-23-14, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You might be taking things a little extreme. Did you have problems with the snowblower actually stalling or slowing down that could be power related ?

You can use a #10 extension cord with no problem. It can't deliver any more than the circuit can provide.

Old 03-24-14, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Don't forget, unless the washer receptacle may not be GFCI protected, so you may need something like this Tower Manufacturing Corporation, 3 Wire GFCI Outlet Adapter, 30339005 at The Home Depot - Tablet

Old 03-24-14, 09:37 AM
P
Is the snow blower new or old ?
If new,I'd say return it and get a Toro single stage gas.

Electricity is not your problem. Your sig. shows Chicago..
A electric will handle a list dusting but even a 2" of the wet stuff, it will struggle.

Old 03-24-14, 01:07 PM
S
@PJmax Thanks. I don't recall having any of those issues when I used it on the 15A circuits. I still had to make sure everything else was off of course.

@chandler Check. I actually have a portable one too. Barely gets used anymore though.

@pingable The electric one is about 4 months old. My friend gave it to me after he brought a two stage blower. I can't remember the name brand. I have a Yard Machines single stage, but I forgot to buy gas before that last snow fall we had. And it was that wet/heavy snow too. The electric didn't do too bad, but it did seem to take a little longer than if I had used my gas blower.

Old 03-24-14, 01:49 PM
P
If I was to make a cord, you still putting $$$ into a good cord setup. SOOW or if maybe something uber flexiable *which is a + in cold weather climates* like a Seoprene 10/3. Add in good quality Hubbell connectors.

I dunno. I would rather put the $$ towards a good Toro single stage. Not all single stages perform the same.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: