Looking for Obsolete Cutler-Hammer CH breaker

Old 03-24-14, 11:12 AM
Looking for Obsolete Cutler-Hammer CH breaker

I am trying to find some obsolete Cutler Hammer Type CH breakers to go into an older CH12 Load Center. A label in the Load Center says to use Cutler-Hammer Class NI Type CH breaker.

There is a small label on the breaker that reads :

NI Circuit breaker Issue No. HN-22 Type CH L-4273 (common text left out)

Current CH breakers do not fit. The one I need as shown in the first and last images has a notch. The second image shows the breaker along side a current CH breaker. The breaker won't fit because it doesn't have the notch.

I have searched online without success. Any suggest where to look?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-14, 11:17 AM
Old 03-24-14, 11:19 AM
Have you tried Ebay? There are usually a lot surplus companies out there.

Old 03-24-14, 11:41 AM
Wunderbar

You guys are great. I would never have know to search using 'Full Notch'. The only advice the guy at the local electrical supply house had was to replace the Load Center. Right, like I'm going to pay over a grand to replace a Load Center that works fine.

I just need some breakers. My house is 110 years old and as expected the wiring is a mish-mash of old and not so old - but at least no knob and tube. The Load Center looks like it was put in around the 60s (give or take) and most of the wiring is ungrounded BX cable.

Unfortunately, most of the second floor and parts of the kitchen is on a single circuit that predates the BX. I want to redo and redistribute the load but need breakers. Some breakers have too much on them and some have almost nothing.

11 out of 12 slots are in use with no breaker for the 12th and no spares. Plus I have a ganged breaker (2 20 amp ) that was probably used in the past for a washer or dryer but re-purposed and now just has two separate circuits. I want to get rid of the ganged breaker and replace it with 2 20 amp breakers (or 2 15 amp breakers if the wire is only 14 gauge which it might be).

Now that I can find them, I have some work to do.

Thanks again.