20A Line what rating on Outlet?

Old 03-06-01, 05:53 AM
Visiting Guest
I am running a new 20A line in the kitchen. What current rating should the outlets be on this 20A line?

Also what rating should the GFI outlet be?

I would have thought you would want a 20A outlet on a 20A line. However all the outlets in my house on 20A lines have 15A outlets. I would have thought this could pose an overheating situation. A 15A outlet could be suppling 18-19A and the breaker won't trip until 20A.

Can someone please clear this up.

Thanks

Old 03-06-01, 07:16 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If we don't get this question at least three times a week, we begin to feel neglected.

You are allowed by code to use 15 amp outlets on a 20 amp circuit, unless there is only one outlet on the circuit. Clearly it would be a bit safer if you used 20-amp outlets, for the reasons you state. However, nothing you're likely to plug in will ever use more than 15 amps unless it is malfunctioning. Furthermore, the internal wiring and the cord on your appliance is the weakest link anyway, and your malfunctioning appliance itself will burst into flames before your 15-amp outlet will.

Pleasant thoughts.

Old 03-06-01, 04:45 PM
RickM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Internally, the insides of a 15 amp receptacle are exactly like the insides of a 20 amp receptacle. The only difference is in the faceplace, the smiley face. If it is winking, it is a 20amp, if it is not winking, it is a 15amp.

Rick Miell

Old 03-06-01, 06:14 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Both replies sound good to me.

RickM

I still can't stop laughing on the hog walleren and now we have winking receptacles. Boy I think we all have houseatosis or somthing like that I switching over to see if the fish are biting. At least then if I spit my coke out for laughing at our replies no one would know, that is unless I come home and confess on myself. Ya, I would do that too.

Keep up the good work

Wg

Old 03-07-01, 08:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for all the help and so quickly. Sorry I did not catch other posts on this topic before my post.

I'm sure I'll be back for more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: