Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

multiple outlets stopped working but other outlets on same breaker work.

Old 03-26-14, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I live in a small apartment. One night I suddenly lost power to my living room on 3 outlets. A week or so prior I also lost power to a light fixture near the living room. I have checked the breakers and it seems there are only 2 breakers controlling all the outlets in living areas. The others are for the kitchen and utilities. the breaker for the dead outlets has 3 other outlets that work fine as well as the bathroom vanity lights. None of the outlets are gfci. Any ideas on finding the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-14, 09:48 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
For reasons of liability you should not attempt to fix it. Call your landlord.

Old 03-26-14, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

You have a loose connection in one of the outlets. It may be the result of someone's using a backstab hole instead of a terminal screw to connect the conductor, or a splice may have failed, or something else may be wrong.

If the loose connection is in the ungrounded (hot) conductor, it's annoying. If it's in the grounded (neutral) conductor, it could be dangerous. Either way, you need to fix it as soon as possible.

Any ideas on finding the problem?
Yes. It is most likely at the last working device or the first non-working device. See Troubleshooting a dead receptacle or light,....

Old 03-26-14, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I live in a small apartment.
I missed this point earlier. Ray wrote the response while I was distracted (note the identical post times).

Eric, you have the easiest repair path of all:
Originally Posted by ray2047
For reasons of liability you should not attempt to fix it. Call your landlord.

Old 03-26-14, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I called them a week ago, spoke to them in person a few days later and my voicemails and emails have been ignored ever since. I would deduct the repair from my rent however i just paid rent and it is my last payment before my lease ends at the end of april. I have heard the building is being sold so I'm beginning to think the owner is hoping it will be the next guys problem. If it is a simple fix such has reconnecting a loose wire behind the outlet i would rather just get it done.

Old 03-27-14, 06:59 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The problem is if there is a fire, even unrelated to your work, and the owner or insurance company found out you did any work you could end up being sued or if injuries with criminal charges. No good solution for this. You could move now and sue for the rent and deposit because you were being ignored, claim constructive eviction, but no guarantee a judge would agree, probably wouldn't for just three receptacles.