Wiring a wall oven/ micro combo

Old 03-28-14, 04:29 AM
Wiring a wall oven/ micro combo

I'd appreciate some help. I have a kitchenAid wall oven/ microwave combo that has 120/240 printed on it's name. The unit is hardwired (no outlet). There are only 3 aluminum wires coming into the unit (no ground) from the wall. The pigtail off the unit has 4 copper wires (separate ground). When i pulled the unit, it had the ground coming out of the unit wired to neutral using those scary looking AL/CU connectors lathered with anti-oxidant grease and wrapped in electrical tape. Can it go back this way? My instinct tells me i need to rewire this circuit from the panel with 4 copper wires (separate ground) since the unit uses a 120V component however, i'm hoping i can gain confidence that the previous hookup was sufficient or advice on a work around.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-14, 08:06 AM
Group Moderator
Given it is aluminum wire and has a combined neutral/ground I would strongly suggest new wire if conduit or cable if not conduit. The original installation probably met code and is grandfather but not as a safe as a modern installation with copper conductors including a separate ground. Also you must follow the instructions for your equipment. Does the manual say a three wire circuit can be used and tell you how to wire it?