Installing hanger bolts - quickly

Old 03-28-14, 02:24 PM
Group Moderator
Installing hanger bolts - quickly

This is technically a hardware question but I know many of us, as electricians, use them for hanging conduit.

I have a job coming up where I need to install approx fifty 1/4" hanger bolts into 2x4's. I put a 1/4" nut on first and then I put a 1/4" rod coupler on and chuck it in my drill. Drives them no problem. Then I put a wrench on the nut, back the rod coupler off with the drill in reverse and remove the nut.

Sometimes in the process of driving the nut gets bound on the hanger bolt and when I try to take it off with a wrench.... the bolt starts to come out.

Since I'm using 1/4" bridle rings I could leave the nuts on as long as there are enough threads left in the coupler nut but other times I can't leave any hardware on the bolt.

Any ideas, hints or trade secrets ?

Name:  hb.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  11.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-14, 02:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pete, run a service nut all the way up to the funky threads, then attach the nut with your all thread on the end. Once you drive the unit in, you can wrench the service nut and back off the other nut. Is that the problem?

Old 03-28-14, 02:42 PM
Pete, it sounds like the 1/4" nut may be getting caught on the wood threads. If you haven't already thought of this, I'd try making sure I could still see a couple of machine threads when I locked the coupler to the nut. Hm... You are locking the coupler to the nut before chucking it in the drill, right?

Just a bit of 3-in-1 on the machine threads might help too.

Old 03-28-14, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Use these (Made by Powers) :
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29115[/ATTACH]
You just need to buy a driver for your screw gun which is like a socket driver, or just use a socket driver. They have 1/4"-20 female threads (or larger) on the hex end. Run them in with your gun and then attach your ring. Done. I get mine at the electric supply house but any pro fastener store should have them.

Attached Images  
Old 03-28-14, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
Cool fasteners

If you've ever noticed when you put two nuts together () they don't always lock where you want them to. When you actually drive them they can sometimes spin together until the nut gets jammed into the wood thread part.

Old 03-28-14, 07:44 PM
Cool fasteners
Totally agree. I'd go with those. Never saw them before -- thanks for the tip, TI.

If you've ever noticed when you put two nuts together () they don't always lock where you want them to. When you actually drive them they can sometimes spin together until the nut gets jammed into the wood thread part.
Oh, yeah. That's why, when I make one of those drivers, I fill it half-way or so with all-thread.

But I still like the hanger bolts from Powers better.