How to get latex paint off wires

Old 03-29-14, 05:32 AM
How to get latex paint off wires

I had painted my air conditioner wire the last time I painted.What is the best way to get that coat of paint off.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-14, 05:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Products like 'goof off' and 'oops' will dissolve latex paint allowing you to remove it. I don't think it will harm the wires but don't know for sure.

I'll move your thread to the electrical section so you can get their take on it.

Old 03-29-14, 06:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is this a cable on the inside wall of the house or somewhere else?

Old 03-29-14, 08:37 AM
Are you asking about paint on the power cord of a window mounted A/C unit?

Old 03-29-14, 06:48 PM
I had painted my air conditioner wire the last time I painted
Why did you do that? ............

Old 03-30-14, 04:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I was thinking might it be easier to just replace the cord?

Old 03-30-14, 05:53 AM
Sand it and repaint it lol. You'll be sitting there all day today and tomorrow trying to get the paint off. Then, when you're 1/4 of the way done, you'll be about ready to strangle yourself with the cord.

Old 03-30-14, 07:05 AM
Yes a through the wall unit. Yes many people paint the power cords (blends into wall much better,does not stand out so much) and just keep on putting more paint on top of the old paint. I did not want to keep on putting a few layers of paint on the power cord. Was just wondering easiest way to remove latex paint.

Old 03-30-14, 07:18 AM
Group Moderator
As written earlier try Goof off. I'd advise against try to sand the cord. You may damage it. Of course the goof off may damage the cord even more then sanding. Best might be to get a new cord and stop painting it. How far from the A/C id the receptacle for the cord? Moving it closer so if it isn't within a foot or so and concealing behind curtains might be a better solution.
many people paint the power cords
I'd disagree.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-30-14 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-30-14, 08:04 AM
Allow me to share some beneficial and relevant information and experience...

Goof off is a very mild solvent. It also evaporates extremely quickly. It's best used to clean up 'spills', like paint on carpet or maybe a drop on your clothing. I have used goof off to clean dried paint off the interior of my car: plastic, vinyl, cloth. It works, but it takes a fair amount of elbow grease.

Can it damage your power cord? Yes, if you leave it submerged for a prolonged period of time. Will it damage the cord if you apply the goof off to a rag then wipe the paint? No. Will it remove the paint? Yes, but extremely slowly and not without lots of hard work.

Varsol, an actual paint thinner, might work better. Thinner, not stripper, those would be too harsh. Use varsol on a rag and wipe the paint. Again, I have used it in my car to clean paint with no damage to the trim, seats, or steering wheel. It will still take plenty of effort, but not as long as goof off.
Will it damage the cord? Yes, sooner than the goof off, but again only if then cord is wet for a day or two non-stop.

Soure: I'm a professional painter and use these solvents on a regular basis.

Old 03-30-14, 02:47 PM
Use Goof Off 2.
Goof Off I've found ruins the finish of alot of things. Goof Off 2 uses the power of citrus!
I've used it to clean off the paint some kids sprayed on my trunk and tail lights. Got every drop off and didn't damage my clear coat. Not much effort needed with this stuff either.

Old 03-30-14, 03:34 PM
Why not replace the cord? You can make it as short or as long as you need it, and probably get a color you like.

Old 03-31-14, 04:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
many people paint the power cords
Like Ray, I disagree. I've always considered painted cords, switch plates, etc. a sign of an amateurish paint job.