Add a new circuit: fuses, not breakers

Old 03-30-14, 06:58 AM
Add a new circuit: fuses, not breakers

Hello,

I've got everything all set up for the new circuit except for actually connecting it to the fuse box. I've looked online for guides, but everything references the newer breaker panels.
Are there any significant differences or steps I need to take?

There is already a block with only one actual fuse (out of two) in use... Does this mean the empty fuse spot is a place for me to add a new circuit? Just looking for 15amps to run my sump pump.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-14, 07:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your hot will connect to the screw near the fuse instead of the breaker.

Old 03-30-14, 07:27 AM
Fuse boxes were the standard back when all 120 volt circuits were installed with ungrounded NM cable and fed 2-wire receptacles. Most of the older fuse boxes just don't have enough available terminatuion screws on the neutral bus for grounded circuits we need today.

There is already a block with only one actual fuse (out of two) in use... Does this mean the empty fuse spot is a place for me to add a new circuit?
The available spot for a fuse might be for another circuit or it could also be a bad socket that has been abandoned. You really need to think about upgrading your service with a modern circuit breaker panel.

Old 03-30-14, 07:34 AM
Thought about it, but it's not in the budget. Or, rather, other things should be done first. (yay for home ownership).

There is definitely something fishy, though. But if it becomes an issue I shall create a relevant thread.