10 gauge wiring on a 20A circuit

Old 04-02-14, 10:57 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would love to supply pictures but I would like to avoid opening the panel and running into issues with my GC/Electrician.

Follow up question: We passed the electrical inspection with the AFCIs in place but we are coming up on final inspection. IF the GC tries to get the inspection to take place before this issue is resolved, should I bring it up to the inspector at final? Or would I be unnecessarily accelerating an issue?

Old 04-02-14, 11:02 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
The AFCI is looking for an arcing signature from a loose connection or from a broken conductor. I would still like to see pictures to confirm suspicions.
Riiiiiight...hence the name Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter. I was thinking of a GFCI.

Old 04-02-14, 11:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I don't see how they expect to pass inspection without the AFCI breakers in place if they are required. I would go back to the contractor first.

Old 04-02-14, 01:28 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Follow up question: We passed the electrical inspection with the AFCIs in place but we are coming up on final inspection. IF the GC tries to get the inspection to take place before this issue is resolved, should I bring it up to the inspector at final? Or would I be unnecessarily accelerating an issue?
Regardless if you pass inspection, you still have a problem--the breakers are tripping. Your electrician needs to figure out the problem and fix it. If he can't figure it out, hire someone else.

Old 04-02-14, 07:05 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Regardless if you pass inspection, you still have a problem--the breakers are tripping. Your electrician needs to figure out the problem and fix it. If he can't figure it out, hire someone else.
I agree 100%. You still have some good leverage with your checkbook. DO NOT pay the final bill till this issue is resolved to your satisfaction with the appropriate AFCI breakers in place. If your "Electrician" cannot find the problem, tell him you will hire someone who is a good diagnostician and deduct that cost from the his final bill. I feel like I am using the term "Electrician" loosely, it sounds like he's more of a jackleg.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: