Court order to seize an electric meter?

Old 03-31-14, 07:55 PM
Court order to seize an electric meter?

I'm (marginally) involved in a commercial landlord-tenant that involves a restaurant.
The local power-co has filed in court to have the sheriff seize the electric meter.
Yes, somebody went to court over an electric meter. Case involves Schmitz.

I'm stumped. My best guess is that it's a hotwired the smartmeter?
Any better guesses?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-14, 07:59 PM
One of the names in the case is Schmitz.

My best guess is that it's a hotwired the smartmeter?

Anybody have any guesses?
Yep, sure do. Schmitz is in deep sh*tz.

Old 03-31-14, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
Weird..... I've been reading about smart meters and peoples fight's with the power company. The name Schmitz rang a bell but I'm not sure if this has anything to do with your case.... most likely not.

Concerns Raised About Smart (Wireless) Electric Meters | Genesee-Schmitz

Old 04-01-14, 04:33 AM
So folks are concerned about radio frequency radiation coming from the meter? You can buy a shield that can be hung over the meter so radiation is absorbed rather than travel into the house.

By the way, radios and televisions also emit radiation. Among other things, this allowed Nielson and other rating companies to send a car cruising the streets with a sensitive antenna and find out what shows you were listening to or watching.

Try this: Take two ordinary AM radios. Tune one to a station near the top of the dial. Set the other nearby and adjust its tuning about 45o KHz below. You may be able to cause interference to the first radio. Fiendish knowledgeabl folks would do this at the beach when annoyed by nearby radios, back in the days when most popular radio programs were on AM.

Old 04-01-14, 10:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post

By the way, radios and televisions also emit radiation. Among other things, this allowed Nielson and other rating companies to send a car cruising the streets with a sensitive antenna and find out what shows you were listening to or watching.
LOL! That is total BS! Even if they COULD do that, they don't, and they never have.

Old 04-01-14, 10:24 AM
I can't figure out who benefits from these except the POCO because they cut out the meter readers, as far as the consumer where is the benefit? there is no option to shift load to off peak,and the readings you do get are at least a day old.Oh yes the POCO knows if there is an outage in your area so you don't have to call and tell them,and one other point don't pull the meter unless you notify them first.

Geo

Old 04-01-14, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
LOL! That is total BS! Even if they COULD do that, they don't, and they never have.
Well, I do know that cable companies back in the day (mid-late 90's?) had vans that bristled with antennas and could detect if cable was in use in the house but there was no active account. They gave you the option of having it disconnected and removed or signing up on the spot for service. I know for a fact, because I was outside watching the van slowly drive through my neighborhood when he stopped in front of my house. Yes it was me...we had only been there about 2 weeks and didn't have everything set up yet, not even a phone, but when I tried the cable...it worked! Hey...they were the ones that didn't cut the service from the prior occupants!

This was an area where you didn't need a box and before digital...so a tech actually had to come out and disconnect it.

Old 04-01-14, 11:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's a completely different animal. Those vans were sweeping for cable signal leakage coming from addresses that did not have active accounts. It was pretty effective because most people don't bother to cap unused outlets on walls and splitters with a terminator, and the signal literally sprays out.

If there were no uncapped outlets, there would be no leakage - and those people would get away with it until the company ran a tap audit where they would actually climb the pole and look at what houses were physically connected.

The notion that the ratings companies could tell what you are watching simply by driving by your house is absolutely ridiculous. Now that's not to say that this day in age your cable/satellite box and DVR don't report back statistics, but there was never any fleet of 'covert ratings gathering vans' roving the nation.

Old 04-01-14, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Never said I didn't agree with the "what channel are you watching" thing.

Old 04-01-14, 12:12 PM
The BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) used to drive around in a panel truck (forerunner of vans) back in the 1950s to see if any unlicensed television receivers were in use. Yes, the British licensed the television RECEIVER to pay for the cost of providing the broadcast service without commercials.

Back ON topic...Check the reference that PJ linked to and you will find that this is related to another total nutcase extremist who thinks(?) that the RF emissions from the Smart meter is killing wildlife and people. You will need to follow the link in the page that PJ links to and then you will find the letter to the Superintendent of Seattle City Light asking him to NOT install Smart meters and then several pages of pseudo science references. You need to know a few things to know that this Karen Nold is just a troublemaker. First thing is that she does not even live in an area served by SCL but instead her serving utility is Puget Sound Energy, a company that has been using Smart meters for years. If this were to go to court the case should be dismissed because she simply does not have "standing" to bring the suit as she personally is not affected. As such she is lobbying the Genesee-Schmitz Neighborhood Council (which IS in the SCL distribution area, southeast Seattle) to bring the suit.

As it happens, I know the assistant director in charge of environmental affairs at SCL, Dr. Lynn Best. I can't say I know her well but I have had a few face-to-face meetings with her on a different subject along with telephone conversations and numerous E-mails. I DO know her well enough to state without reservation that if she thought there was any significant cause for alarm in the use of Smart meters that they would not even be considered.

Old 04-01-14, 01:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't figure out who benefits from these except the POCO because they cut out the meter readers, as far as the consumer where is the benefit?
I have a digital meter that is read remotely and glad of it. I live a ways off of the paved road but my road is always passable except when it's covered by snow BUT many are intimidated by my road plus when the meter readers are in a hurry they just use the excuse - "the road was impassable" Back when I had a regular meter they estimated my bill most of the time. I didn't have an issue with that but they always over estimated and then when they came up [about twice a yr] and read my meter they'd send me a bill for $10 for not using any electricity. I refuse to pay for their laziness!! I've not had any billing problems since they installed the smart meter.