Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

12-4 to wire one constant hot duplex receptacle and one spilt switched recep.

Old 04-03-14, 09:45 AM

Hi could I use 12-4 to have one constant hot duplex receptacle and one split switched receptacle controlled by 2 switches in the same 2 gang box? Any problems with doing this?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-14, 09:50 AM
Nope. Right as rain and legal as sunshine, so long as each box has enough volume for that many #12 conductors plus the devices.

Don't forget to remove the tab between the two hot terminals on the duplex you want to control with the two switched.

Old 04-03-14, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
one split switched receptacle controlled by 2 switches
If that means a 3-way switch circuit you could do it with 12-3 unless the receptacles are on separate breakers.

Old 04-03-14, 10:55 AM
These with be on the same 20 amp circuit breaker. The top receptacle of the switch duplex would be switched by a 3-way switch and the bottom of the switched duplex would be switched by a single pole switch. I was going to switch both as in the example below with 12-3, but I need a constant receptacle in theses locations to comply with code. So I was going to switch the 12-3 in the example with 12-4 and have the one duplex constant hot and the other duplex be spilt and switched by the seperate switches.
Name:  Wiring concept with power through junction box.jpg
Views: 4150
Size:  41.1 KB

Old 04-03-14, 11:03 AM
Group Moderator
So left receptacle always hot and each half of the right receptacle on separate switch circuits. Got it now.

Old 04-03-14, 12:18 PM
Some of the boxes are in foam walls with only one channel going in for one cable. Is it considered bad practice to bring some of the cables to a very large(90 cubic inches) master splice box above my drop ceiling instead of bringing cable in then out of each receptacle box. The ceiling has removeable panels to give access to the splice box.