Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Install low voltage ring beside existing box & use 2-gang cover?

Old 04-04-14, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

While cutting in a new recep box I hit an unexpected stud and had to move my template over a bit. Now I've got a good sized 1/2" drill hole in my wood paneling 1-1/8" away from the box cutout. I don't think they make oversized covers that big.

This is plaster & lath, plus some sheet rock and the paneling, so I've got a fair amount of depth from the finished surface to the stud. The receptacle box is not yet installed.

My idea is to install a LV ring beside the receptacle box and put a 3-port RJ45+coax jack or something there, mainly just for looks but it might get used some day. I should have plenty of depth for a LV cable and the connectors without notching the stud. Then use a 2-gang decora plate to cover the whole deal.

The question: Are all low voltage rings skinny enough that it will fit beside an existing box yet maintain the proper spacing for the 2 gang cover, or do I need to buy a certain brand/style? I've never used them before. Or will I need to cut the side off of one to get it snug with the 120V box? I'll definitely need to cut off the old work wings and remove the wing screws... just screw the LV ring right to the stud with wood screws.

Also open to any other ideas to hide my mistake. All the 120V/LV combo boxes I've seen take up full depth on the LV side so those won't work.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-14, 05:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 66 Posts
Overlapping the stud with the low voltage side might get you the room you need. Careful measuring/cutting will be required. Attaching the low voltage ring to the stud should also work.

You could also try one of these remodel boxes and just cut off the low voltage side enough to get it how you need.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29498[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 04-04-14, 05:41 PM
That box looks like it might be just what I need! If I cut off the cable management stuff and squared off those rounded corners it should go right in there.

Do you remember where you found that pic? Who makes it, and what model?

Old 04-04-14, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 519 Votes on 489 Posts
It's made by Carlon so it's available everywhere including the depot and lowes.

Carlon 2-Gang Low-Voltage Old-Work Electrical Box-E-18-4-DVR at The Home Depot

Old 04-04-14, 05:56 PM
You could install a 2 gang masonry box and put a divider in it to separate the 120V from the coax.
This might differ in the states, but up here that keeps things kosher.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=2+gan...2F%3B500%3B375
http://www.garvinindustries.com/imag.../GBP-15834.jpg

Old 04-04-14, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
When the OP went to cut his hole.... he was over a beam so he's looking for a solution just to cover the mistake. He doesn't really need the two gang box option.

I can sympathize too as I've done the same thing.

Old 04-04-14, 06:08 PM
Thanks for that Carlon link. Yeah I should be able to get that anywhere. Unfortunately I just finished cutting the box opening and discovered yet another piece of wood and I've only got 3-1/4" of depth as a result. An old Carlon 14cu.in old work box I have sitting here fits flush, but I'll have to see about this 2 gang LV box. The one in the photo says 18 cu.in so I've got a bad feeling about that. T&B's site says 3" depth for it, but they don't always mean what I call "depth". At $2 I'll just buy one and see what can be done.

Mr.Awesome: I can't use such a box because the stud is in the way for one of the gangs. I only have 1-1/16" depth available for one side.

Old 04-04-14, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
You may be able to notch that piece of wood you've run into. I've been there before too.
What I do is to use a spade bit to drill into the wood and clean it up with a sharp chisel.

Old 04-04-14, 07:57 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Would you even need the LV box. Couldn't you just put the cover plate screws in the wall?

Old 04-04-14, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Would you even need the LV box. Couldn't you just put the cover plate screws in the wall?
Not with a single 2-gang cover, because that can't and won't close the single-gang power box. The OP is going to need a combo wall box/ring.

Old 04-04-14, 09:24 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
OOps just re-visualized it. So, never mind.

Old 04-04-14, 09:29 PM
that can't and won't close the single-gang power box
How come? Not that I was going to do it, but that was in the back of my mind as a last resort. Are you getting at the fact that the cover is slightly domed and will leave maybe 1/8" of space between the underside of the cover and the finished surface? Actually the voltage separators have the same issue then, don't they? Even that Carlon one above, you can see it's indented and wouldn't be completely closed no matter what.

By the way, anyone have any ideas for drilling horizontally through a stud when your box cutout is directly beside it? I thought my Milwaukee right angle attachment and a stubby spade bit would fit in there.... not even _close_. I should have known better. 4" stubby bit is not going to go in a 3" wide hole when you no longer have wiggle room on both sides. If it was just 1/2" sheet rock I'd have a chance at going at an angle. Not in this case. Today isn't my day.