Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Aftermarket Power Door Locks Not Working Properly, Can you help?

Aftermarket Power Door Locks Not Working Properly, Can you help?

Old 04-04-14, 09:13 PM
Question Aftermarket Power Door Locks Not Working Properly, Can you help?

Hi,

This is my first post and it's an electrical and auto issue, so I posted it in the electrical section. I'll try to be brief and to the point.

I'm trying to install aftermarket power door locks to a 2014 2dr Wrangler. I installed it on the driver side, and ran all the wires.

Testing
I close the door and it automatically locks the doors (good). I hit the key fob to unlock, and the actuator engages forward and unlocks the door...but it quickly contracts and locks the door...ok.

I called tech support. Tech support told me to hook up both actuators (but not to hook up the rods...keeping it simple). The same thing happened for both actuators. I hit unlock > the actuators fire forward > but contracts and locks the door.

Tech support is sending me replacement actuators and control module. Awesome support indeed. But I'm thinking it may be due to the wiring...

What do you guys think? Anything worthwhile for me to double check?

THANKS

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-14, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
We really can not answer without knowing how you wired it and a schematic of how it should be wired.

Old 04-04-14, 09:43 PM
Attached are the wiring diagrams.

One indicate the wiring from the actuators to the control module. It's a 2dr jeep, so the 2 rear actuators (blue and red wires) aren't used.

The 2nd indicates the control module to the wireless transmitter.

A buddy of mine mentioned that maybe I didn't wire something correctly. I feel as if I did, but I could be wrong.

I've got the weekend to work on it. Please let me know if there's something I may be overlooking.

Attached Images   
Old 04-05-14, 12:11 AM
Group Moderator
I close the door and it automatically locks the doors (good).
You close the door and the locks activate..... that's not good. What if the keys are in the ignition?

When I installed door lock modules they had a wire that went to the "key in the ignition" switch so that you could not lock them with the keys in the ignition.

The kit they gave you is using five wire locks. Two wires run the motor and three connect to a switch. The easiest way to set your locks up is to have only the fobs control the locks. To do that..... disconnect the brown and white wires that go from the locks to the module. Now only the fobs will control the locks.

If you want the pull up lock handles or the key in the outside of the door to control the locks then you would leave all the wires connected as you have them. When you set the linkage up you need to make sure that center of the lock motor travel and the center of the door lock travel is the same. This can be very confusing to get adjusted correctly. They should have given you an instruction sheet on how to set up the locks with the mechanism.

You may want to set up one door at a time as it's easier to adjust the travel so that the switches work properly. You may just want the drivers door to control both sides.... then connect the white and brown from the drivers door and not the passenger door.

Old 04-05-14, 12:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does the same thing happen in reverse when you hit lock?

Did the locks and keyless brain come as a kit? Or did you buy them separately?

Old 04-05-14, 05:54 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses.

disconnect the brown and white wires that go from the locks to the module.
Right now only the driver side is installed in the door. From the door, I disconnected the white and brown wires. When I do this, it just stops working. I hit the unlock botton and nothing happens.

Does the same thing happen in reverse when you hit lock?

Did the locks and keyless brain come as a kit? Or did you buy them separately?
The actuators are always in the lock position (compressed). When I hit the "lock" button it makes no difference because they are always locked. When hit "unlock", the actuators move forward but return to their compressed state.

The unit was a kit from Electric Life. I believe this is it:
Electric Life - LK01-10-537 2 Door Jeep Wrangler Lock Kit JK 07-CURRENT NEW BODY

Old 04-05-14, 08:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ok so when you hit lock, does anything happen electrically? Do the motors 'try' to move down or are they just dead?

When the 'unlock-lock' thing happens, do the motors 'release' after they move back to the lock position or does it appear that they stay energized, holding the lock down?

And what about the keyless module? Where did that come from?

And as far as what PJ said, the lock motors should work with just the blue and green wires connected.. If nothing happens with the brown/white wires disconnected, then something is amiss.

So are you absolutely sure you have them connected as the diagram dictates? Blue from the module to green on the motor, and red from the module to blue on the motor? And you have the blue and red harness wires connected to the terminals they show on the module?

Seriously, whoever designed that control module harness is a total nimrod. They made it as confusing as it could possibly be - rather than use the industry standard colors you see on the motors, they used random colors.

Last edited by JerseyMatt; 04-05-14 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-05-14, 09:21 AM
Group Moderator
The actuators are always in the lock position (compressed)
That's not right either. When you connect the motor to the door lock linkage...... you need to place the door lock linkage midway between locked and unlocked. Then place the lock motor in the mid position and tighten the linkage. The lock unit contains switches that control lock and unlock.

The motor moves so it's good. Try touching ground to just the brown wire.... what happens ?
Now try ground to the purple.... what happens ?