dryer outlet reads 55v on each leg...why?...

Old 04-06-14, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dryer outlet reads 55v on each leg...why?...

hello. i have a dryer that i just moved to another home. i plugged the three pronged dryer wire into the outlet and it did not work. i then checked the voltage out of the outlet and found 248v accross both hot legs but only 55v when i tested the legs by themselves? can someone please tell me how this happens and how to fix it. thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-14, 02:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Are you using a digital or analog mutimeter? Digitals will give phantom voltage readings. Measure the voltage from the ground to the hot then from hot to hot. You should be getting 120 volts from hot leg to ground and 240 from hot to hot. If not, then check the voltage at the breaker screws for the same. Let us know what you come up with.

Old 04-06-14, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
Not measuring full 120v between each hot leg and ground is not a good thing. Don't plug the dryer in without a solid ground or the case becomes live.

Most importantly is to check the ground wire connection for the dryer wire in the panel. You may also have to open the receptacle and check that too.

Old 04-06-14, 02:37 PM
i am using a digital meter. fieldpiece is the brand. i have 120v on each of
the legs coming out of my fuse box and 240v accross both legs at the fuse box as well.

so i have the correct voltage at the fuse box but when i get to the outlet it is 240v accross both legs and only 55v at each leg when tested by itself.

i hope this helps you to help me.

Old 04-06-14, 03:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
Did you check AT the panel where the dryer ground was connected ? Is it tight ?

If ok.... turn power off and pull receptacle apart and visually check there.

Old 04-06-14, 03:13 PM
i did not check at the panel. it is a older home and has a fuse box. i did check via the screws at the fuse box and i got 120v on each leg and 240v accross both. but at the outlet i only get 55v from each leg when i go to neutral. what could cause this drop in voltage?

Old 04-06-14, 04:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
As Pete said, your ground in the fuse panel may be loose. You won't get a reliable voltage reading at the receptacle if that ground is loose. Identify thThe ground may be loose there as well.

Old 04-06-14, 04:24 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
PJ posted the answer toy your question as you were writing. [QUOTE]Did you check AT the panel where the dryer ground was connected ? Is it tight ?
If ok.... turn power off and pull receptacle apart and visually check there./QUOTE] Is this a 3-wire or 4-wire receptacle.

Old 04-06-14, 04:28 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
at the fuse box... i got 120v on each leg and 240v accross both. but at the outlet i only get 55v from each leg when i go to neutral. what could cause this drop in voltage?
A loose or damaged neutral connection for this circuit in the panel is one possibility.

i did not check [the neutral connection] at the panel
You need to do that.

i did check via the screws at the fuse box and i got 120v on each leg and 240v accross both.
To read the 120V on each leg at the panel, I assume you touched one of your meter's two probes to the termination screw for the branch circuit conductor on each fuse holder. What did you touch the other probe to?

at the outlet i only get 55v from each leg when i go to neutral.
Did you take the receptacle apart and test between the disconnected conductors? If not, do that after you check, and correct if necessary, the neutral connection in your panel.