3 way switch for stairway to include an outlet

Old 04-07-14, 10:22 AM
3 way switch for stairway to include an outlet

I found this website today and I hope I can get some help with an electrical project I have going on. I'm in the middle of finishing part of my basement and before I started I had one light switch at the top of the stairs that turned on 6 lights. I've made some changes and added recessed lighting and outlets that are controlled by new switches in the basement near the stairs. I only ran the wiring and made the connections at the outlets or switches, but I hired an electrician to add circuits and make the final connections to the panel.

What I want to do next is add some sconces to the stairway as well as an outlet at the bottom of the stairs that would turn on and off with the new 3 way switches I will install - one at the top of the stairs and a new one at the bottom of the stairs. I have found ,many wiring diagrams that include 1, 2, 3, or 4 lights, but nothing to show me how to include an outlet.

We would like to have a small lamp in the corner of the stair landing that would be controlled by the 3 way switch. Can I follow a diagram for adding 3 lights to two 3 way switches, but switch the last light with the outlet? I hope this makes sense. I still have power going to the switch at the top of the stairs and this is where I will start the process.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-14, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
Lights and receptacles are both outlets. So if all are on the same switch circuit it doesn't mater if you install a luminary or a receptacle. Their all just outlets.

Old 04-07-14, 02:36 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I still have power going to the switch at the top of the stairs and this is where I will start the process.
OK. Run xx-3/G cable from that outlet to the one for the new switch at the bottom of the stairs. Then run xx-2/G cable in a string or "daisy chain" to the outlet for the receptacle and the outlets for the wall sconces. The order isn't important.

Note: You didn't say what size the breaker that supplies this system is, so wire size couldn't be specified. "xx" stands for "14" if it's a 15A breaker and "12" if it's a 20A breaker.

Old 04-07-14, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the reply! I will start on it this weekend.

Old 04-07-14, 06:49 PM
15 amp so i will use the 14 wire. Thanks!

Old 04-07-14, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the reply! I will start on it this weekend.
You're welcome. Do you know how each wire needs to be connected?