Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Adding outdoor outlet to covered patio ceiling. Special NEC reqs?

Old 04-08-14, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Adding and patio outlet to my covered patio celing for a TV.

Just curious if anyone knows of any special NEC code requirements besides using a weatherproof box and weather resistant GFCI receptacle?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-14, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

Just curious if anyone knows of any special NEC code requirements besides using a weatherproof box and weather resistant GFCI receptacle?
Weather resistant wiring. You may need an in-use cover on the receptacle, depending on where it's located. That would probably be easier to use with something that's always plugged in, anyway.

Two questions: Where and how are you planning to pick up the power? How is the ceiling constructed?

Old 04-08-14, 02:16 PM
This is the box/cover combo I plan on using

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The ceiling is made of wood. I do have attic access to the ceiling. There is a power outlet in the attic in an new work box nailed to stud that's close by that I plan to use for the power source (got lucky there).

About weather resistant wiring. The house is fairly new, 2007. The builder ran 12/2 romex to the recessed lightning on the patio. Will that suffice?

Are there rules about how far away the outlet has to be from the exterior walls of the house ( i.e. could I have it tucked in the corner)?

Old 04-08-14, 03:01 PM
This is the box/cover combo I plan on using

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That box looks like a good choice for this location. I haven't seen one of those before. Thanks for the link.

About weather resistant wiring. The house is fairly new, 2007. The builder ran 12/2 romex to the recessed lightning on the patio. Will that suffice?
Romex® is only approved for use indoors in concealed, dry locations. If your covered patio has a closed ceiling and all of the wiring is, and will be, above that, then that should be OK.

Are there rules about how far away the outlet has to be from the exterior walls of the house (i.e. could I have it tucked in the corner)?
No, and yes.

Old 04-08-14, 03:21 PM
Yeah the box seems great because I can paint it to match the ceiling. Found it accidentally while browsing amazon.

Old 04-08-14, 03:25 PM
Yeah the box seems great because I can paint it to match the ceiling.
I would tread gently there. Paint is notorious for gumming up the works of things like hinged, spring-loaded covers.

Good box, though. I'm coming to appreciate Arlington Industries more every day.