Need to Connect 240 volt Alum to Copper Wiring

Old 04-08-14, 08:40 PM
Need to Connect 240 volt Alum to Copper Wiring

Unfortunately our house has aluminum wiring. It's time to install a new electric cooktop in the kitchen. The instructions say if the house has aluminum wiring you need to:

1. Connect a section of solid copper wire (8 gauge) to the cooktop pigtail leads.

2. Connect the aluminum wiring to the added section of copper wire using special connectors and/or tools designed and UL listed for joining copper to aluminum.

All of this is to be inside flexible metal conduit going directly to the junction box.

You can't use Alumiconn connectors because they only take up to 10 gauge copper wire.

An electrician I talked to said the only thing they use is the purple wire nuts. If that's all they do then I suppose I could get the purple nuts and do the job myself but I don't know if that is really safe. Is there something better?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-14, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
I'd stay away from someone who recommended purple wire nuts. See: Burned Purple Wirenuts (Ideal #65) AL-CU One solution is split bolt connectors intended for copper to aluminum. No pigtailing needed. The split bolts for aluminum to copper keep the aluminum wire from touching the copper wire.

Name:  $_1.JPG
Views: 4156
Size:  10.2 KB

Old 04-08-14, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Your electrician really said they use purple wire nuts on #8 wire ??

You cannot connect aluminum directly to the ranges copper lines so wirenuts are out.
In that case I'd set a junction box and use Polaris bugs. They are set screw type bugs that attach wires together. You could also use set screw splices where the wires also do not touch.

Set screw splice
Name:  SETSCREW splice.jpg
Views: 2274
Size:  5.2 KB

Name:  polaris.jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  13.0 KB

Old 04-08-14, 10:03 PM
An electrician I talked to said the only thing they use is the purple wire nuts. I suppose I could get the purple nuts and do the job myself but I don't know if that is really safe.
Then you've found one electrician you don't want to hire to do work in your house. And no, it isn't safe. Here's a second take on those wire nuts:What’s Wrong With Using Twist On Connectors For Aluminum Wire Repairs?.

All of this is to be inside flexible metal conduit going directly to the junction box.
All splices need to be inside a junction box.

The instructions say if the house has aluminum wiring you need to:

1. Connect a section of solid copper wire (8 gauge) to the cooktop pigtail leads.

2. Connect the aluminum wiring to the added section of copper wire using special connectors and/or tools designed and UL listed for joining copper to aluminum.
I hate it when companies outsource the technical writing along with the manufacturing. None of that makes sense. Use the connectors suggested by Ray and PJ to connect the copper to the aluminum.