Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Would like to use dimmer switch, if possible (wiring questions)

Old 04-10-14, 09:33 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I have two ceiling fans which are the main light source for the dining room and master bedroom. Both were originally wired to have separate switches for the fan and the lights. Can a dimmer switch be used in these scenarios? If they can, is there a specific type of switch I will need? I would use dimmable LED bulbs so I would need to get one compatible with those.

The picture with the tape around the switch is the bedroom, which has 2 black and 1 red wire. I just remembered there is actually two separate switches for the bedroom light, would both need to be changed if the second one is never used? (It's hidden behind a dresser, room was organized differently at the time it was set up). The switch in the background is for that fan which has just two white wires.

The other picture is the dining room which has the same 2 black wires and 1 red wire and also a bare copper. (only switch for this light).

Anyway, I am not sure if the setup allows for dimmable switches. Thanks for any advice.

Attached Images   
Old 04-10-14, 10:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You will need to check the wiring at the fans. The fan black should be connected to house black and fan blue to house red.

Old 04-10-14, 11:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You can use a three way dimmer on the lights. If you want to control the fan you need a speed control. There are ones that fit in the space of one switch that control both functions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: