adding outlet in line with existing outlet

Old 04-11-14, 11:30 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
adding outlet in line with existing outlet

It seems simple to do but I'd appreciate any advice. i have existing outlet on inside wall. I want to wire off that to outlet opposite of it on outside wall.

Any problems forseen? Advice?

thanks

Old 04-11-14, 12:10 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Is this on a 1st floor with a basement? If so you can drop a line through the floor to the opposite wall. If it's in a second floor with an attic crawl space you'll have to go up and over to the other wall. In either case you will have to drill through the sill plate to fish the wire through. Usually you would tap off an adjacent outlet as opposed to the opposite wall.

Old 04-11-14, 12:17 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's not 'technically' a problem per NEC (as long as the circuit you intend to tap is not serving the kitchen, bathroom, or laundry room), it's just poor practice to put outdoor receptacles on living space circuits (in the same manner that it's poor practice to put outlets on lighting circuits).

Don't forget it will need to be a GFCI, and you will need to install an "in use" bubble cover on it.

Old 04-11-14, 12:20 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Norm201
Is this on a 1st floor with a basement? If so you can drop a line through the floor to the opposite wall. If it's in a second floor with an attic crawl space you'll have to go up and over to the other wall. In either case you will have to drill through the sill plate to fish the wire through. Usually you would tap off an adjacent outlet as opposed to the opposite wall.
He means the opposite side of the wall, not the opposite wall. He wants to install the boxes back-to-back.

Old 04-11-14, 03:55 PM
Is your wall around your panel finished? If not, it likely wouldn't be too hard to run a new circuit for your outside receptacle. Your foundation is probably above ground level, so you would just need to drill a hole in the house a few inches above the foundation which should put you within the joists of your first floor. Just something to consider, maybe you wouldn't be able to get the receptacle even close to where you want it.

Old 04-11-14, 04:26 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Receptacle Boxes

The new box can be above, below, or beside the existing box but not directly back to back unless you have an abnormally thick wall cavity.

Old 04-11-14, 04:38 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
He means the opposite side of the wall, not the opposite wall. He wants to install the boxes back-to-back.
My bad. I reread it.____________________

Old 04-13-14, 05:57 AM
W
thanks !!

Appreciate the comments...........

Now just need to get on with it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: