Changing standard plug to GFCI

Old 04-13-14, 11:58 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 24
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Changing standard plug to GFCI

I've done my fair share of electrical work, but I had a quick question regarding a upgrade of a standard plug to a GFCI.

Name:  gfci.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  30.7 KB

I've attached the following picture. The first two images show the plug that is currently in the wall and on the far right is the GFCI.

As you can see in the standard plug, there are two HOT (black) wires going to the plug. Do I run these both on the HOT side of the GFCI at the bottom where it says LINE, or do I run one to the LOAD side?

If I understand correctly, the LOAD side is for 'another' receptacle to get protection from this GFCI. The problem is I'm not sure exactly where/what the other black line to the current plug is for. Am I safe just running both HOT lines to the line ports?

Old 04-13-14, 12:44 PM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 14,271
Received 860 Upvotes on 723 Posts
If you look closely at the existing receptacle you will see a tab that has been removed on the hot side. You have two circuits there! Do not connect them both to the GFCI, or both together, or very bad things will happen!! You can confirm this with a meter set to 240v or higher and measuring between the two screws.

I believe in Canada it is required to split wire the receptacles like you have it over the kitchen counter. Are you 100% sure they are not GFCI protected already? You should check your electrical panel and see if there are some GFCI breakers installed. IF you have no GFCI protection, you might be better off installing a two pole, 20 amp GFCI breaker.

We do have some members from CA and they mat be more familiar with the requirements of the CEC than I am.

Name:  two circuits.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  9.1 KB
Old 04-13-14, 07:38 PM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 9,870
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I've attached the following picture. The first two images show the plug that is currently in the wall and on the far right is the GFCI.
Those are receptacles, not plugs. A plug is a male device that plugs into a receptacle.
Old 04-14-14, 06:02 PM
Mr.Awesome's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 511
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You have the option in your kitchen of split receptacles or 20A receptacles.
As Tolyn said, check for GFCI breakers. They should be clearly labelled. If you do not have them, I would just pick up a 2 pole 15A (not 20A unless you have #12 wire) GFCI breaker.
If you wish to have a GFCI receptacle installed, you will have to abandon wires in your panel and at the box. I would leave it as is though, you have more power available with split rec. If you change to a GFCI receptacle, you will only have a single 15A receptacle. Your split rec. are two different circuits so you have 15A available on the top, and 15A available on the bottom.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: