Changing standard plug to GFCI

Old 04-13-14, 10:58 AM
Question Changing standard plug to GFCI

I've done my fair share of electrical work, but I had a quick question regarding a upgrade of a standard plug to a GFCI.

Name:  gfci.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  30.7 KB

I've attached the following picture. The first two images show the plug that is currently in the wall and on the far right is the GFCI.

As you can see in the standard plug, there are two HOT (black) wires going to the plug. Do I run these both on the HOT side of the GFCI at the bottom where it says LINE, or do I run one to the LOAD side?

If I understand correctly, the LOAD side is for 'another' receptacle to get protection from this GFCI. The problem is I'm not sure exactly where/what the other black line to the current plug is for. Am I safe just running both HOT lines to the line ports?

TIA!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-14, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
If you look closely at the existing receptacle you will see a tab that has been removed on the hot side. You have two circuits there! Do not connect them both to the GFCI, or both together, or very bad things will happen!! You can confirm this with a meter set to 240v or higher and measuring between the two screws.

I believe in Canada it is required to split wire the receptacles like you have it over the kitchen counter. Are you 100% sure they are not GFCI protected already? You should check your electrical panel and see if there are some GFCI breakers installed. IF you have no GFCI protection, you might be better off installing a two pole, 20 amp GFCI breaker.

We do have some members from CA and they mat be more familiar with the requirements of the CEC than I am.

Name:  two circuits.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  9.1 KB

Old 04-13-14, 06:38 PM
I've attached the following picture. The first two images show the plug that is currently in the wall and on the far right is the GFCI.
Those are receptacles, not plugs. A plug is a male device that plugs into a receptacle.

Old 04-14-14, 05:02 PM
You have the option in your kitchen of split receptacles or 20A receptacles.
As Tolyn said, check for GFCI breakers. They should be clearly labelled. If you do not have them, I would just pick up a 2 pole 15A (not 20A unless you have #12 wire) GFCI breaker.
If you wish to have a GFCI receptacle installed, you will have to abandon wires in your panel and at the box. I would leave it as is though, you have more power available with split rec. If you change to a GFCI receptacle, you will only have a single 15A receptacle. Your split rec. are two different circuits so you have 15A available on the top, and 15A available on the bottom.