Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Need someone to check my wiring diagram for an audio A-B switch

Old 04-13-14, 03:23 PM

I'm putting together an audio A-B switch to operate devices in a home theater. I drew a wire layout, the larger rectangle at top of image, and wired per the diagram. When I tried it out only a portion worked. The switch on left selects speakers A, B or A and B. Switch on right selects which device. At least that is what I was hoping for. Anybody able to check my layout for errors? I can provide more info if needed.

The sketch at mid-left was original wiring for one of the switches. No help needed with it.

TIA, Justin

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-14, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
Justin......

I don't see any speaker wiring at all in your diagram. It looks like all line level connections.

If your amplifier doesn't have speaker A/B provisions then your best bet would be to purchase a speaker selector switch as it is not as easy as just putting the speakers in parallel. You need to maintain the correct impedance to the amplifier.

Old 04-14-14, 11:38 AM
I didn't think I would be able to explain what / how this thing does / works so was hoping I could get by with a simple statement and let the diagram speak for itself. I shouldn't have mentioned speakers as it's not really the speakers that it is controlling but the devices themselves which in turn send an output that comes back to me thru either room speakers or headphones or both. I'm sure there is a better way of saying that but I'm not able to grasp it.

The lines shown coming in from the right side of my wiring diagram are all RCA cables and I've split them out to their R (see the small R's on diagram for right or red) or W (white) jacks where they plug into the box. The pic is looking at the back of box, where I'm working from to make connections, so everything is opposite hand to actual use from the front. So I'm saying the R's are seen on the left but in actual use the R's will be in the correct location on the right.

I had bought a new A / B switch but wires were coming in and out of it in an uncontrolled mess and all the new A / B switches seem to include a video jack as well. I was surprised to find that a new A/V A/B switch costs only a couple bucks but an audio only switch, if you can find one, goes for around $35. After I bought the switch I dug around in a drawer, where I seem to toss all unused electronics stuff from the last 40-50 years, and was surprised to find an old audio only A/B switch. Just what I needed but I needed 2 so found and bought another off eBay that looked the same from the outside of box but switches were made differently inside. See attached pics. Switches are in the same position as shown in my diagram.

The switch on the left is what I had and simple to understand. The one on the right is the eBay one and I had to sketch it out, that is what the diagram at mid-left is of in my wiring diagram, how it was wired (see pic of single switch) so I could keep track of what goes where when I re-wire for my purpose.

So I pulled the 2 switches themselves and installed them into a new single box. Unfortunately I don't seem to have taken a picture of the interior of new box but I think I wired them to new RCA jacks the same as the originals. I made no fixed connection for RCA cable shield as I think the box / jack connection takes care of that for me.

Hope my explanation helps and thanks for your reply.

Justin

Attached Images   
Old 04-14-14, 08:46 PM
Group Moderator
Based on how you have it wired it should work. It looks to be wired for three positions.

Name:  a-b switch 02.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  39.7 KB

Old 04-17-14, 04:47 PM
Eee gads. Thanks for going to all the trouble with the image but that was a pic, like I noted, of the original wiring so I could keep track of that mess of worms.

Before I posted any message here I got over anxious and installed my new switch, feeling positive it would work and never gave a thought to taking a pic. My original white on black sketch is all I have right now to check the wiring.

That particular switch you looked at is only half of what I was putting together and works fine. It's the other half that isn't working.

I'm going to have to yank my switch back out of the cabinet to work on it anyway so I'll take a pic of the actual wiring when I do and post it here. It was such a job getting it hard wired in that makes me not want to bother with it anymore.

Sorry that you've gone to all that trouble. Attached is the complete unit with the A/B switch I'm working on at the very top. See image in lower right.

Attached Images  
Old 04-17-14, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
No problem.... make it a nice big pic and we'll go over it.

Old 05-10-14, 05:58 PM
OK finally got some time to get back to this. I'm so confused. Don't know how I got to this point.

I labeled the AMP leads per your work but just circled the other leads.

Arrangement / position of switches is the same as my other pics and black and white sketch.

Hope this helps.

PS: I just reviewed my post and pic isn't as big as what I thought I was posting. How do I post the bigger pic or can you work with this?

Attached Images  
Old 05-11-14, 12:29 AM
Group Moderator
This is the first time I'm seeing the two switches connected with wiring. What are you doing there with the two switches ?

Old 05-11-14, 05:25 PM
I hope it all shows up in the black and white schematic I originally posted below.

I'm trying to bring an input from a mixer and send it out to an amp or a sound card (S/C) or both amp and sound card using one A / B switch and the other A / B switch brings input from amp and out to the S / C or the amp isn't used at all.

Don't hold me to it though. It's been a while since I've worked on it. You'll have to look at the schematic and see if I got it hardwired correctly.

Too bad I couldn't get 2 switches that were alike but had to take what I could get. They both looked the same on the outside.

Old 05-11-14, 08:30 PM
I'm trying to bring an input from a mixer and send it out to an amp or a sound card (S/C) or both amp and sound card using one A / B switch and the other A / B switch brings input from amp and out to the S / C or the amp isn't used at all.
Why not get a different mixer with multiple outputs? I know my mixer has Main 1, Main 2, Mono, Tape, Monitor 1&2, and a few more outputs which all work at the same time.

Old 05-12-14, 01:33 PM
Thanks Justin. Although my mixer isn't the problem I wouldn't mind getting something better. What type do you have? I'm tight on space also.

Justin

Old 05-12-14, 09:41 PM
I have the Behringer Europower Pmp 4000 powered mixer. The nice thing about it is it has a Class D amplifier built in, which lets me run 800W per channel @ 4 ohms, or 1600W mono @8 ohms. This eliminates the need for any external equipment except my speakers and laptop for stuff like DJ gigs, and lets me assign the class D amps for the monitors while using my amplifier with the mains or the house system for the mains while doing live sound.

Old 05-13-14, 11:35 AM
Nice mixer. Too big for what I need though. BTW I using a Behringer UCA202 on my laptop to rip my old vinyl. Thanks

Old 05-13-14, 08:21 PM
I have multiple Behringer UCA 202 units, very handy devices. There is a switch on them marked "OFF-ON MONITOR" If you flip it to on, the unit will pass the inputs right to the outputs as long as it is plugged into a computer.

Old 05-14-14, 04:51 PM
Humm, I forgot about that switch. That might just pacify me for now. Certainly doesn't give me the versatility I was looking for. Maybe with that I can get by with just one A / B switch. Thanks for pointing that feature out.

Several years back I had considered getting a second UCA 202 so I could hook & loop them up to a laptop so I could, ah, record some sound bytes off of DVD's as I watched.

Justin