Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Outdoor trench with electrical: can you put a drain line on top

Old 04-14-14, 11:46 AM

Hi all,

I have a question. I have a 24" deep trench with 2224 URD at the bottom (connected to a 100 amp subpanel). Above that at 18" is a 1.5" conduit with low voltage cables in it (phone, coax, cat6). These service a large outbuilding that is being converted to a workshop.

Anyways, we learned during trenching that some of the water discharge (roof drain, two sump pumps) don't go somewhere sensible. I'd like to put a 3" or 4" abs waste line in the top of the trench (6" to 12" below grade) to receive the discharge of these water management systems and move the water elsewhere.

For about 100' of the 250' run, this waste line would be above the low voltage conduit and the buried URD. To the best of my knowledge, all cable is outdoor rated and the electrical line runs through a standing high water table anyways).

Problems? Opinions? Don't just tell me water plus electricity is bad. We all know buried power cable gets wet.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-14, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
No problem.

Old 04-14-14, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Don't just tell me water plus electricity is bad. We all know buried power cable gets wet
Water and electricity is bad, That is why people get shocked when they touch something wet and something energized.

Water and wire/cable insulation that is not rated for a wet location is also bad. The water will damage the insulation to a point it will break down.

Water and properly installed wire/cable rated for a wet location (and/or direct burial) is no problem.

Old 04-15-14, 04:08 PM
Yes yes but can you put a waste line above urd

No offense guys but those replies were exactly what I was saying not to bother posting. Underground residential distribution cable is rated for direct burial. The question is more one of code than safety. I know the urd is getting wet underground and it is rated for that (unlike thhn or xhhw).

Old 04-15-14, 08:10 PM
Thanks. Is that a technical answer or a code answer? Or both?

Old 04-15-14, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
I really did my post for anybody else that may read it.

Both. What you are doing is correct and A-OK code wise