UF Underground feeder wire nec code requirement questions

Old 04-15-14, 08:57 AM
UF Underground feeder wire nec code requirement questions

Where I am at they just go with the NEC for wiring. No further revisions locally.

I just bought the house and it was a foreclosure so everything is unknown from before.

At some time years ago because the grass had no evidence of being dug up recently most of the UF cable was removed out of the ground and all the connections in the shed were cut.

My guess is one of the owners were going to sell it and the town found out it was not done to code and they had to remove it.

Couple questions:

1: The guy had 12-2 UF Underground feeder wire going to the shed 60' away from the house that has a double 40a breaker in the main house panel for 220v I guess. White and black were hot and bare ground for the ground.

That is not code for UF Underground feeder wire correct?

Plus he had it only buried only about 6" or so which I know is not code.

2: It needs to be 12" down for code with a GFI before it enters the ground and max 20a correct ?

3: When it comes into the shed under the concrete slab up to the breaker box approximately at eye level does it need any other covering around it and or pipe?

4: When it comes out of the ground to go into the garage siding apx 12" or so above the ground does code require any special pipe and or cover over it etc?

5: If I wanted the option to have 220 in the shed can it be done to code with 12-3 wire or does it need to be 2 seperate 12-2 wires?

I don't think I will need 220 in the shed but would like the option to have it down the road. All I ever see me running is hand power tools but maybe a 220 Air compressor years down the road.

I thought I read somewhere that UF Underground feeder wire cannot share ground.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-14, 09:09 AM
It]s important to protect underground conductors from mechanical damage, so you will have to use PVC Conduit as a "raceway" for the Conductors. If you us 1" PVC Conduit ,for future loads you can later emplace conductors larger than #12 .

Old 04-15-14, 10:05 AM
The guy had 12-2 UF Underground feeder wire going to the shed 60' away from the house that has a double 40a breaker in the main house panel for 220v I guess. White and black were hot and bare ground for the ground.
Although the installation of the UF cable and the 40 amp breaker was wrong, the circuit would have provided 240 volts only to the garage, 120 volts was not available. Considering that everything was done wrong, my guess is that they were using the bare ground as a neutral to power 120 volt devices.