Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

What are good methods to get wire from breaker to 2nd floor

Old 04-07-14, 09:31 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We are wiring 2 prong to 3 prong for the whole house. The basement to the first floor is not posing a problem. We have not started yet on the second floor. What are good ways to get the wire up to the second floor.

So far, our idea is to tie the new to the old and pull it down. But, I have already read this may not be the best method. Ideas?

Old 04-07-14, 09:48 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The cable is almost certainly stapled so it can.t be pulled. Closets make good routes for new cables. If you can get to the first floor below a second floor closet you can build a chase in the closet. It all depends on how the closet aligns with first floor walls.

Here usually method is just to run conduit outside up the wall to the attic.

Old 04-07-14, 11:28 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
One way is to just run one cable to a sub panel on the second floor, then the new wires are run from there.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-07-14 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Change wire to cable.
Old 04-07-14, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
If you can get to the main plumbing stack most cases you can drop some #12 jack chain down along side it and pull cable up there with the chain.

Old 04-07-14, 05:49 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I've pulled power and data wiring up through the chase which houses our 3-wall fireplace flue.

Old 04-09-14, 05:29 AM
T
good ideas

Thank you for the ideas. I will discuss with my Dad, who knows quite a bit more than me, and see where we go from here.

Old 04-15-14, 09:38 AM
T
I found that the old wire runs into the crawl spaces and closets upstairs. I am not sure how it gets to the closet yet. It does go up overhead into the ceiling of the closet, following the same angle as the roof. Also, in the crawl spaces, the wire appears out at the end of the floor ( basically where the down spouts would be, but on the inside. So, I am wondering if they went under the floor. Anyways, all of the outlets up in the second floor will come off one of the locations in a crawl space or closet.

I do not see how the wires go side ways in the walls / baseboards though. I do not think they do that currently.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: