Federal Pacific Breaker Replacement

Old 04-15-14, 08:17 PM
Federal Pacific Breaker Replacement

A family friend asked me to add an outdoor receptacle to their place, but they have an old Federal Pacific panel. I need to know what to use as a replacement breaker for the stab loks. I'm assuming the newer pioneer stab loks aren't compatible?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-14, 06:51 AM
I'm assuming the newer pioneer stab loks aren't compatible?
No, Federal Pioneer Stab-Lok breakers are fully compatible with Federal Pacific Stab-Lok panels. They are as close to identical as they can possibly be except for the color. I know of one supplier down here that regularly sells the Federal Pioneer breakers for use in existing Federal Pacific panels.

Old 04-16-14, 03:37 PM
I found an old pacific breaker at our shop Joe. Looks like the new pioneers are about half the size so I guess a pioneer breaker and panel filler in one of the slots will do.
I read alot of doom and gloom about these panels, but from what I read it seems to be issues with parts manufactured in the US. I have yet to read anything about recalls or a stink being made in Canada.

Old 04-16-14, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, never a Canadian recall.

Old 04-16-14, 07:18 PM
I have yet to read anything about recalls or a stink being made in Canada.
There was never a recall in the U.S. either, but that didn't make them safe. I'd recommend a Pioneer breaker over the Pacific unless it is a recently manufactured Pacific breaker.

Old 04-16-14, 07:39 PM
Thats where I'm at a loss Joe.
Depot and Eecol (a major electrical distributor here) assure me replacements are not available.
Yet depot.com (not .ca) shows replacements.
The smaller pioneer breaker makes me wonder too, since it is half the size you could potentially stick two of them on the same bus.
I'm a little reluctant to install the one I found at the shop if the pioneer one does not fit. I'm not concerned about the hazards posed by the american manufactured breakers, but moreso concerned about installing a potentially 30 year old breaker.

Old 04-17-14, 08:45 AM
FPE lost their UL listing for a while back in the 80's. They made a regular and a half size breaker which are both still available today. A standard size 20 amp would be part # 20 and half size is 020. Bear in mind if you have a breaker that says federal pacific on it , it is very OLD. They went out of business years ago.....late 80's I think. They should have American Circuit Breaker or Federal Pioneer on them before I would ever use them. The little half size one never impressed me as I was suspicious on how much contact they made but we have a couple of panels here where I work and rarely had to replace them.

Old 04-17-14, 10:11 AM
Depot and Eecol (a major electrical distributor here) assure me replacements are not available.
Yet depot.com (not .ca) shows replacements.
It could be that in Canada replacements are not available, but there is no shortage of replacements here. American Circuit Breaker and UBI both make them in thick and thin veersions.

Federal Pacific Thin 20 Amp 1 in. Double-Pole Type F UBI Replacement Circuit Breaker-UBIF0220N at The Home Depot

Connecticut Electric 20 Amp One Pole Thick Type F UBI Replacement Circuit Breaker-VPKUBIF20N at The Home Depot

Federal Pacific American 20 Amp 1 Pole Breaker Type NB Bolt On | eBay

Old 04-17-14, 02:41 PM
I got it figured for any fellow Canucks who stumble across this thread.
I called a couple of different wholesalers until I finally talked to a guy old enough to know of these panels.
Federal Pioneer still makes replacement breakers. The wholesaler I went to had oodles of them, just needed to talk to the right rep.
So U.S., go to Depot and pick up Connecticut, UBI, etc.
Canada, go to an electrical wholesaler and pick up a big fat Federal Pioneer.

Jim,
The little half sized pioneers are very common here. That is probably the most common breaker and panel I`ve seen going into people`s houses and apartments.

Old 04-17-14, 07:03 PM
So U.S., go to Depot and pick up Connecticut, UBI, etc.
They are definitely available at the box stores, but my experience is the American Circuit Breaker and Federal Pioneer replacements were cheaper from a supply house. It all depends on what is close by and where the individual may have an account.

Jim,
The little half sized pioneers are very common here. That is probably the most common breaker and panel I`ve seen going into people`s houses and apartments.
They were popular here back in the day (30+ years ago) too, I have seen a ton of them.

Old 04-18-14, 12:42 PM
Sorry....did not notice you were from Canada! Federal Pioneer is alive and well up there.....rarely see them here because at one time American Circuit Breaker sued anyone trying to import them since they had the "rights" to FPE replacements. FPE got a bad rap here because of the UL loss but still of lot of it installed locally here. I actually thought the full size breaker was an excellent design as it made a solid connection...the smaller one not so much but they last and last so they must have been decent as well. FPE's disconnects were built like tanks. Very well made.