Wiring my cabin.

Old 04-15-14, 01:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring my cabin.

* Disclaimer: I'll be working with a professional in completing my electrical needs. Just needing some guidance as I weigh in on options. Thanks for helping here.

My family and I own a 1000 sq ft. cabin in KY. Currently, the cabin is wired, but all taps into a Honda 2000watt generator. This generator is ending it's life, so, I'm wanting to hard wire the cabin. Several pros to this I think.

I do not want to cut a 40 ft. wide path from the road to the cabin. Instead, I've already had some land cleared and the electrical company is wanting to put in a pedestal for an RV. Either a 200 amp service or a 100am meter pole.

Ideally, what I'd like to do, is run a line from that pedestal to the cabin. Unfortunately, I'm looking at anywhere between 600 - 800 feet to cabin.

What do you suggest? I want to stay off the grid as much as possible.

What we run in the winter:
- heaters at night when the wood stove burns out
- lights
- fans
- wall outlet for comp., etc.
- eEmax electrical water heater (smaller size)

In the summer:
- 2 5,000 BTU air conditioners
- lights
- fans
- wall outlet for comp., etc.
- eEmax electrical water heater (smaller size)

What do you all think? Is this possible? Thanks again for your help!

Old 04-15-14, 02:10 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Have you considered running 480 volts from the pad to the cabin. Simplest is to use a transformer to step up 240 to 480 at the pad then back down at the cabin. This could save money in two ways. Higher voltage smaller wires. You would only need to run two wires though using triplex URD might be cheaper than conduit and thus two wires plus ground. At the cabin you would use a center tapped step down transformer to supply 120/240 from the 480 feed. I don't have a calculator for 480 single phase but using a 3phase calculator it look like you could get by with 1/0 aluminum on a 100 amp feed.

Old 04-15-14, 04:55 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
With what the pair of transformers will cost I think that's going to be six of one/half dozen of the other.

Would they be willing to bring the 12kV lines underground closer to the cabin, and then install a pad or pole transformer there? 800 feet is a long stretch for 240.. Probably even 480. Out here when power is needed for pumpjacks in the middle of a field, the power company taps the high voltage and brings it to within a couple hundred feet, and then they install the pole transformer and meter there.

Old 04-15-14, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I would have to agree with Matt on this one. The power company should be able to get power closer to your cabin. You should not need a 40' wide path through the woods as they can trench about a 10' path with a sitcher. That path will become overgrown sooner than you think.

However, if the power company will not run the high voltage any closer, based on a 60 amp load (15000 watts), your voltage drop at 800' is less than 5% with 2/0 aluminum. ( I used aluminum because copper would cost you A LOT!) With 4/0 aluminum it would be almost 3% drop. Both, I think is acceptable.

Old 04-16-14, 06:13 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your feedback so far, this is helping.

I did speak with someone yesterday that had some strong suggestions. He suggested:
- If I go w/ a 100amp meter pole, I'd use a #1 Aluminum service wire inside 1.25 PVC pipe buried
- Or, if I go w/ a 200 amp pedestal that I could use 4ott /2ott wire.

I'm looking at keeping the distance at around 600 feet now.

Any brilliant thoughts? Thanks!

Old 04-16-14, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I would not use conduit and install direct burial instead. 600' would be one heck of a pull!

Based on your expected loads I think 100 amps is plenty good. 600' with #1 aluminum your voltage drop would be about 6% @ 60 amp load (14.4Kw)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: