Home panel replacement

Old 04-22-14, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The conductors are #3, so I will definitely need the first ones. It was the second ones I was unsure about. I didn't know what those were used for and if I needed them.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-14, 11:18 AM
To verify on the grounding wire, can I attach the wire to the steel on the main panel with just the 10-32 screw, or do I still need a ground bar or LUG for that as well?

Old 04-22-14, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
I would use one of the holes in the bus bar.

Old 04-22-14, 04:42 PM
True. I might have to double the neutrals temporarily (more than the already are) but that will work. And once the sub comes out I think I will free up three holes on what I will call the bonded bus as this point since none of it is currently separated.

That being said, I have an ECCS1 on order now, and I found a place that locally has an ELCS2SC that I am going to have to take a look at. My only concern was that the ECCS1 lists that it is "for use on GB type ground bars only". Is there a physical difference between the neutral and ground bars? I hope this doesn't seem like a silly question, but I know the devil is in the details.

Thanks again everyone

Old 04-23-14, 09:02 AM
I found in the panel documentation that you can make the left neutral bar into a ground by removing the insulator and adding a lug, so that answers that question. My concern was the contact area would be too small using the ECCS1 connector in the neutral bar on the ITE (as it states it is a for a ground bar and not a neutral bar).Would the extra contact in an ECCS2 be in the ITE panel be worth getting it?

The ECLK2SC (sorry I mangled the part in the previous post) has a curved connector. I picked one up, but glancing at it I think the post on it will be too large to fit in the bar on the ITE.

Old 04-23-14, 10:51 AM
OK, I think I have decided to stop fighting the old panel and work with what I have. Instead of making the Siemens a 100 amp sub, I believe I can make it a 60 amp sub with 6/3 wire, correct? If this is the case, I will do that and get service entrance staples for that connection. I can get up and running on the new panel and move everything over with the exception of the stove, dryer, and water heater. Then when the time comes, I can put in a disconnect by where the old ITE main is and use the cable and conduit at that time. And I should be able put in a junction and reuse the 6/3 for most of the stove circuit.

Does anyone see any problems with this that I am not considering?