industrial plastic scrap compactor

Old 04-18-14, 08:02 AM
industrial plastic scrap compactor

we have a plastic compactor in our warehouse that is a lease. it blew up the start/stop button and we called them in to fix it. we believe a surge hit it and it fried. a surge protector on the line is recommended but the plug is 125 volt 30 amp twistlock. i need to install this myself so does anyone have any ideas on what to use. i use granger as a supplyer. do i need to hardwire a suppressor inline ??
please help any insight would be appreciated
tom

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-14, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
There are many panel mounted surge suppressors. They aren't hard to install. Normally they will protect everything in the panel. The easiest to install are the type that just plug into an empty space just like a breaker.

There are many different brands and types, Cooper-Bussman, Leviton, Eaton, Siemens and many more. The Pro's will be around with their recommendations.

Old 04-18-14, 10:43 AM
thanks for the reply - ya i saw some of those - trouble is the panel is packed - no more room.

tom

Old 04-18-14, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Oh, the brands I mentioned are externally mounted for the most part. Some have leads as long as 9ft. Most are installed just like any junction box would be. I imagine you'll need to use EMT or flex conduit to run the leads to the panel since you are in an industrial setting.