Confused: Jacuzzi Heater Bonding

Old 04-18-14, 03:41 PM
Confused: Jacuzzi Heater Bonding

Separated from: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...er-wiring.html

I am now somewhat confused. I'm installing a Jacuzzi whirlpool bath and the specific instructions tell me the following: "Using a #8 solid copper wire, ground the pump motor to the house electrical panel, or approved local ground. A grounding lug is provided on the pump motor". It says the same for the heater. I was here looking to see if the 2 #8s could touch but now I'm wondering if the instructions are wrong. Both the pump and heater will be wired to separate GFCIs.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-18-14 at 04:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-14, 04:50 PM
Since this was moved to a new post, I should clarify that I was reading another thread and it kept saying that the #8 wire was a bonding wire and NOT a ground and should not be connected to the panel ground.

Old 04-18-14, 05:07 PM
Group Moderator
You should always start your own thread to avoid who is answering what to whom confusion.
instructions tell me the following: "Using a #8 solid copper wire, ground the pump motor to the house electrical panel, or approved local ground.
Actually no local ground is ever used if they mean ground rod and the lug on the motor is for bonding not grounding. Grounding is to provide a low resistance path to the breaker panel for clearing faults. Bonding keeps all metal parts at equipotential to the earth the Jacuzzi sets on. This can be a connection to the metal reinforcing in a concrete slab the Jacuzzi sets on or a buried bare copper wire encircling the Jacuzzi.

The thread you read was before 4 wire feeds to a spa were required. Now all spas have two hots, usually a neutral, and always a ground wire from the main panel but the lug is for a bonding wire not a connection to the ground wire..

Old 04-18-14, 05:15 PM
This is an indoor unit that replaces a bathtub. The instructions quoted also say to connect the #8s to the lugs on the motor and the heater.

Old 04-18-14, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
The pros should be along after work to give you more help.

Old 04-18-14, 06:00 PM
Group Moderator
On most spas and jacuzzis...... the internals are all bonded together and then you connect that to the panel with a minimum #8 wire. If there is a separate lug on the motor and heater.... then you connect your ground to both without splicing. You run it thru one and connect it to the other one. Sometimes it needs to be stripped first. Look for a ground bar inside the jacuzzi.

Last edited by PJmax; 04-20-14 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Removed non pertinent questions
Old 04-20-14, 08:45 AM
Thanks PLMax. You answered my question, especially when you said that I can run the ground through one lug and connect it to the other. That eliminates my concern about the separate grounds touching. It ill be sitting on the plywood subfloor that my current tub is sitting on. This is simply a replacement bathtub that happens to have a pump and water jets.

Old 04-20-14, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
I'm sorry.... you did say indoors. Then there is no equipotential ground issue and I have removed it from my previous post.