part of circuit dead?

Old 04-18-14, 06:22 PM
part of circuit dead?

Hi.

1) On a single breaker I have
a) a bathroom with lights, fan and cfgi
b) a living room with a switched outlet, switched lights and 3 plugs
c) 2 exposed basement lights. I remember one popped a while ago.

The items on b) and c) rarely work (have had issue for a month). One time they were working and I turned on a rarely used device and everything went off. The circuit has never popped.

I do seem to get a lot of blown light bulbs elsewhere in the house and a CFL near the breaker box did fry a bit a couple of months ago.

What I did so far:
1) unbackstabbed the receptacles.
2) one does have wiring and backstabbing so I figure I am to tie all the white wires in a pigtail and all the black ones too and then run secondary wires to the screws?
3) turned off the lights and switched outlet at the wall switches

4) I did nothing about the exposed light receptacles in the basement. They did seem to pop more often than they should though AND ONE BULB WENT POP really good one time. In fact popping incandescent and halogen bulbs in this house happen more than anywhere else I have lived. I have been here 7 years.

5) turned off the circuit at the breaker.

Do I know how electricity works...sure but I have never worked on house wiring:

1) could that CGFI that is always working be the issue?
2) What is the quickest way to test or remove those exposed basement lights from the equation?
3) This one is dumb but....If there are 4 outlets in a row can the first one work if one down the line is broken?
4) can I short the wiring at the back of the receptacles to rule them out?

what next?

yes too many questions but if I can get a few tips that would be great.

thanks.
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-14, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
If there are 4 outlets in a row can the first one work if one down the line is broken?
Yes.
4) can I short the wiring at the back of the receptacles to rule them out?
Not short but bypass the receptacle. However there is really nothing in a receptacle to fail. No "magic" parts to go bad unless it is a GFCI or AFCI so the receptacle is the last thing to suspect.
Unlikely. The lights and fan aren't on the load side are they?

I would suggest you start by rewiring the receptacle(s) in the bathroom. Run a new dedicated 20 amp circuit. The bath lights and fan can remain as they are but I'd put them on the new circuit.

Old 04-18-14, 06:54 PM
Unlikely. The lights and fan aren't on the load side are they?

I would suggest you start by rewiring the receptacle(s) in the bathroom. Run a new dedicated 20 amp circuit. The bath lights and fan can remain as they are but I'd put them on the new circuit.

There is one receptacle in the bathroom and it is a CGFI.
I hear what you are saying on running a separate circuit for the bath light and fan but don't see how that is solving the immediate issue. Won't I still have the same broken receptacles after doing this?

Mike

Last edited by frogbob; 04-18-14 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-18-14, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
don't see how that is solving the immediate issue.
Sorry but your post wasn't clear to me. Didn't know exactly what you were asking.
Won't I still have the same broken receptacles
A broken receptacle is one that has been hit with a hammer or other wise rendered into smaller pieces. Do you mean you have a receptacle that when measured with a analog multimeter does not show ~120 volts? Have you opened it and disconnected the cables and checked that neither cable shows 120v between the black and white wires. If so you need to check all the receptacles, lights, and switches on the breaker. Remove and redo any wire nuts. Inspect the inside of the wire nut for corrosion or missing spring or just replace with new ones.