pool gfci subpanel question

Old 04-20-14, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pool gfci subpanel question

At my inlaws house the pump motor went bad for their pool. Replacing it now before opening the pool and realized that the hack job install (20+ years old) they never used a GFCI breaker for the pool pump. Maybe it wasn't code back then. There is a sub panel located at the pool filter. In it is the 20a 2 pole breaker for the pump motor + heater. and 2 other single pole breakers one for bugzappers and other for an outlet and some lights, including the pool light (inground). the only one thats gfci now is the pool light breaker.

Ok so the panel paper is old, half faded and torn off but i can vaguely make out that it takes QP / QPF type breakers. Googling and trying to find a QP type 2-pole 20a gfci i see most are 250 dollars. I found some QPF that are around 100. Most 2-pole including the types at depot are around 100 so thats what im assuming avg cost are. But i dont see spending 250+ for 1 breaker.

My question is, is there a difference between QP and QPF or the other QP subtypes or can i use that QPF?

If i cant i'd rather spend the money to redo the whole subpanel with newer more common breakers such as CH.

The main box in the house is CH anyway. I thought the subpanels were supposed to match the main in order for the breakers to function properly anyway...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-14, 07:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Your GFCI protection should be in the primary panel, anyway, so you may have lucked out. Check with your local authority to see what they require. What size breaker is in the main breaker that services the pool? Usually it is a 50 amp breaker. Subs and mains can be of any make model. No matching necessary except for overcurrent protection size.

Old 04-20-14, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
QP is Siemens. So any Siemens GFCI breaker will work. 20 amps is about $77 while a 50 amp is about $100 at big orange.

Old 04-21-14, 09:27 AM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
Just curious ,what article requires a GFCI in the main panel to supply a sub panel?
Geo

Old 04-21-14, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
chandler

Your GFCI protection should be in the primary panel, anyway, so you may have lucked out. Check with your local authority to see what they require. What size breaker is in the main breaker that services the pool? Usually it is a 50 amp breaker. Subs and mains can be of any make model. No matching necessary except for overcurrent protection size.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ne...#ixzz2zYYEZR2M
I was looking at that and actually would prefer that too. only thing is, the breaker for the pool panel is only 30A in the main. I guess it was originally just for the pump, then they decided to put a box out there and break it up for the zappers and some lights. I looked quick but didn't see a 30A CH gfci breaker at the depot, might have to check out a supply house. I dont think the line is heavy enough for anything higher like the 50 you mentioned.

Tolyn Ironhand

QP is Siemens. So any Siemens GFCI breaker will work. 20 amps is about $77 while a 50 amp is about $100 at big orange.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ne...#ixzz2zYYzAorY
Yes, i've had to replace some QP in another box at the house here before and used siemens. The HD's by me dont stock QP(or siemens for that matter) at ALL. Have to special order it or order online, had to go to supply house for the ones i've needed. Actually i looked on HD site and they dont seem to carry a QP GFCI at all, period. A QO. but he box says nothing about QO, only QP/QPF/QPTF, all start with QP.

Old 04-21-14, 07:20 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
Actually i looked on HD site and they dont seem to carry a QP GFCI at all, period. A QO. but he box says nothing about QO, only QP/QPF/QPTF, all start with QP.
Siemens plug-in breakers are Type QP. Square D makes QO plug-in breakers, but they are not interchangeable with Siemens Type QP.

Old 04-21-14, 07:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
The GFI protection can be anywhere in the circuit.