How many 16V transformers in a house?

Old 04-21-14, 08:12 AM
How many 16V transformers in a house?

Hello everyone,

I'm replacing a doorbell chime and transformer in my house. I don't do much electrical work, so not too much experience here. The guy at home depot told me the transformer would be in the electrical box in the wall behind the chime, but when I pulled the chime off it was just an empty box with wires that look like they run upward. I'm not sure if this makes a difference but this is a 2 story house. After a quick google, I found that these transformers are sometimes mounted in the attic and sometimes in crawl spaces. I found one in the attic but wasn't sure if this was for the doorbell. Would there be any others for anything else in the house or is this the one i'm looking for?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-14, 08:40 AM
Group Moderator
The guy at home depot told me the transformer would be in the electrical box in the wall behind the chime,
More great advice from BigBox. Almost never there. Attic is one common place but where? There could also be one for your air handler. Is this transformer on the side of an attic light?

Old 04-21-14, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, you might also have a transformer mounted in the attic for the furnace/air conditioning...if thats where they are located. They voltage will normally be different from a doorbell.

You should be able to tell by voltage and color of wires.

Old 04-21-14, 09:01 AM
It's not attached to the light if that's what you mean. It's mounted on it's own box underneath the light i believe.

Last edited by diyer1; 04-21-14 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-21-14, 11:07 AM
Usually there is one for the doorbell and it might be anywhere in the house. Maybe you could guess the location by finding out the most convenient point to tap 120 volt power from given the location of the chime unit.

The furnace will have its own 16 to 24 volt transformer near or on it, and central air conditioning, if not part of the furnace system, will have its own transformer also.

Old 04-21-14, 11:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Basement and near electrical panels are common locations for doorbell transformers. It may also be in the panel, although it should not be.