Circuit Breaker Replaced

Old 04-21-14, 02:30 PM
Circuit Breaker Replaced

I replaced blown twin 15 amp circuit breaker today. It seemed to work ok then later in the day the lights controlled by the breaker were flickering so I went to the breaker panel and put my ear to the breaked that I replaced and I could hear crackling noises from the breaker. Should I shut down that breaker? Does anyone have an idea why this would happen with a new breaker?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-14, 02:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If there was a load on a poorly seated breaker you will hear arcing between the breaker an bus bar. Shut it off and make sure it is securely seated. Also check the connection at the screw terminal.

Old 04-21-14, 03:33 PM
To pcboss - Thanks for your reply. I checked the seating and it seems to be seated ok. I also checked the connection to the wire terminal and retightened the wire. I was able to tell that it is the bottom circuit of the twin breaker. I shut off the top switch and you can see the sparking/arching. Then I shut off the bottom and turneed on the top breaker and no sparking/arching or crackling sounds. Could it be the new breaker? I know when I took out the burnt breaker you could see a burn spot on the bus bar where the breake is seated could that be causing the arching?

Old 04-21-14, 03:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A burn spot on the bus could definitely cause the sounds you heard. That spot may be too damaged to use.

Old 04-21-14, 03:44 PM
OUCH!!! Is it hard to move the wireS to a new spot?

Old 04-21-14, 04:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Additional conductor can be spliced on if needed. If this is a multi-wire or a 240 volt circuit you will need to move both conductors.