Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

My old range was hardwired. How can I add socket for new range?

My old range was hardwired. How can I add socket for new range?

Old 04-22-14, 12:49 AM
Post My old range was hardwired. How can I add socket for new range?

Hi: I do DIY repairs for plumbing, tiles, carpentry, but messing around with electrical problems worries me.
I have to take out my 25 year old hardwired electric range & put in new wiring and a socket (or range receptacle?) for a 3-pronged plug. I don't think the installation dudes will do this for me.
Can anyone guide me through the process or should I hire an electrician to do the work?
If I need an electrician, can you give me an estimate on how long the job will take and how much the parts will cost?
Sorry I don't know much about this work, but the bottom line is that I don't want to get ripped off by an electrician who overcharges for parts and labor.
I know you can't give me an exact answer to all these questions, but I really appreciate any advice you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-14, 01:48 AM
Hi welcome to the forum I am not an electrician but I have wired a socket for a new dryer we bought and it really isn't any different wiring a for a dryer than it is for an electric range. Remember though in the case of a range the socket is placed on the floor mid center of the range. I know that because I have rental property that has a range and I watched the electrician install the outlet.

Time wise about 30 minutes to make sure the electric is off and do the wiring. Not being an electrician I can't say for sure exactly how much an electrician might charge but can guess and I would say around $200.00 if that is all he has to do. If something else needs to be upgraded that he sees while he is there it could be a bit more.

It is fairly easy to install though on your own but rather than me explain it to you I am linking you to an article that explains everything in just 6 pages and it has pictures too so you can watch the process. Here is the link Range Receptacles - How to Wire Electric Range Receptacles.

Old 04-22-14, 04:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Adding to Richard's comments, you need a 4wire receptacle, and 4 wire cable for it to be code compliant. If your range is new, it will have a 4 pronged plug on it. Let us know if it is otherwise.

Old 04-22-14, 05:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
An existing unmodified 3 wire install can continue to be used assuming it was correct when originally was installed. A new install would need to be 4 wire.

Old 04-22-14, 07:07 AM
Typically a new electric dryer or range will come without a cord and you have to buy either a 3-wire or 4-wire cord separately, depending on your needs. Expect a range cord to cost between $20 and $25.

Old 04-24-14, 09:10 PM
I just wanted to say thanks, but DIY.com says my reply has to be at least 25 words. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-24-14, 11:20 PM
You are certainly welcome from all of us here who helped. We are glad everything is going well for you!