Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Question about converting a surface mount electric range outlet to a flush mount

Question about converting a surface mount electric range outlet to a flush mount

Old 04-22-14, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I want to convert my surface mount electric range outlet to a flush mount. At this point, I think I need to install a double gang junction box. I would like to use a plastic old work box if possible. However, I have a question. The plastic boxes I have seen in the big box stores (Carlon 2-Gang 25 cu. in. ) don't seem to have a knockout big enough for what I think is # 6 wire. Can I just drill a big enough hole in the junction box and then install an appropriately sized metal cable clamp?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Regards
Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-14, 10:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Technically yes, you can drill a hole for a clamp. However the plastic boxes are too small for the code-required volume. You need at least a 4x4 deep box or a 2-gang handy box to give you the required 30cu in. The usual way to do it in old work is to use the edge holes to screw it down to the sill plate. If you can cut it in next to a stud, screw it into that too.

Also keep in mind it needs to be as low as possible so it can be accessed from the front by pulling out the drawer.