European Appliance Wiring Help

Old 04-23-14, 06:27 AM
Question European Appliance Wiring Help

So I have an european appliance (non-motor) that can pull up to 4000w. It came with a shuko CEE 7/7 cord end (3 wire).

The area I'm putting it in I already have a 30amp 4-prong dryer outlet and I am within 2 feet of the subpanel (walls are unfinished so new wire can be run easily).

What I would like to know is what is the best / safest way to hook this up? From my preliminary research it doesn't seem like there is a way to do it 100% to code just because the code doesn't support European voltages.

I need the existing dryer outlet to stay as is, as I use it for another appliance and I have an inline GFCI cord that I put a twist lock L14-30R connector on. Although both outlets will never be used at the same time.

I mistakenly thought I could put a L14-30P on the european appliance cord (hot-hot-ground, neutral not used) however the appliance acts like its only half way starting up, which makes sense after more research as I need to combine both hots and use neutral.

I'm thinking I should install a separate 3-prong dryer outlet (30 amp) combining both hots (hot/hot-neutral-ground) and label the outlet so someone doesn't mistakenly plug a US applicance into it? My only concern is that at max operation the appliance will pull 16A across the one prong which I assume is only rated for 15A (30A divided by 2 prongs = 15A). Is that correct?

Or is there somewhere I can buy a Shuko CEE 7/7 style outlet in the US?

Another option I thought of, can I add a jumper wire of appropriate size to the L14-30P plug I have on it right now to combine both hots coming from the wall outlet to the one appliance hot wire and move the neutral to match with outlet neutral?

Last edited by pidass15; 04-23-14 at 06:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-14, 09:56 AM
Another option I thought of, can I add a jumper wire of appropriate size to the L14-30P plug I have on it right now to combine both hots coming from the wall outlet to the one appliance hot wire and move the neutral to match with outlet neutral?
Just realized this won't work with my existing two-pole breaker (would trip it), I think it's doable with a separated single pole breakers feeding a separate outlet that then combined them?

Old 04-23-14, 10:00 AM
Cut the european plug off and install a NEMA 6-20p. Use a 2-pole 20A breaker. Make sure you have a full 240V as I doubt the appliance will start on a 208V circuit.

Old 04-23-14, 10:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can't 'combine' the hots in any way. It will create a dead short. As far as the appliance is concerned, (provided it does not have any motors or electronics that are dependent on 50Hz), it can't tell the difference between European 240V Line to Neutral and our 240V Line to Line.

What is this appliance? If it's not wanting to start with the cord wired up to the two hots, then either it you have 208V Line to Line (your house is fed from a phase of a "Y" transformer setup) and it can't tolerate it as Justin said, or it has an electronic control circuit that is being screwed up by the 60Hz frequency.

Old 04-23-14, 06:32 PM
What is the voltage of the European appliance? Is it possible it could require 415 volts?

Old 04-23-14, 10:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by CasualJoe View Post
Is it possible it could require 415 volts?

Not with that plug on it. That's a standard 240V bi-pin.