Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Ceiling fan fell (!!!) and now theres no power in the zone!! Ahh!!

Old 04-23-14, 07:59 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

OK i could really use some advice or guidance. I'm a fairly competent handyman by trade but with all things you have to learn at some point and ive hit an issue where i have understanding and moderate experience but id feel better if it could be confirmed by someone experienced. My mother has a 100 year old home and the other night her ceiling fan feel on her (!!!) in the middle of the night. Luckily shes ok. The power in the zone is completely out. The fan appears to have unscrewed from its base do to a loose bolt. It has fallen clean and there are of course HOT, GROUND, AND NEUTRAL dangling free. They are not touching. The zone controls lights in my mothers upstairs room, 2 lights in upstairs hallway, and 2 lights in basement, mostly this all runs in a straight line. The breaker appears to be on, and has been reset multiple times as of now. There is NO POWER in the entire zone. The breaker feels normal, and wires do not appear burnt or loose, and the wires coming from ceiling fan area appear clean and just look cut. My first assumption is that this breaker has gone bad. I know how to test this, i have a multimeter, and a huge collection or surplus breakers. (my deceased step father was an electrician by trade, i have access to every necessary part and tool). I guess my question is after i test the breaker for AC120 in and AC120 out whats next. |Assuming power is going in to breaker but not coming out ill replace the breaker and go from there. If the breaker passes then im not sure where to go from there. The incident happened at very end of wiring in the zone but as i stated previously NONE of the fixtures are receiving power. Can somebody guide me to my next steps please? my mother is a great lady but older and on a very fixed income. There is no room in the budget for an electrician. Just lil ole me. Thanks!

Old 04-23-14, 08:02 AM
J
Thank you so very much ahead of time!!

Thank you so very much ahead of time!!

Old 04-23-14, 08:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Exactly how many wires are in the ceiling box? If more than one set, they could feed other parts of the house. Have you turned the breaker completely off to reset it and then back on? Could you provide a picture of the ceiling box in question? It may help with our answers.

Old 04-23-14, 10:48 AM
J
Thanks chandler! i wish i had known of this site before! There are 3 wires , Black, white, and bare copper. I have reset breaker completely numerous times. I will be going over to my mothers at 530pm eastern today. at that point i can take a picture and also check the voltage going into the breaker box. The ciealing fan assembly (blades,fixture,motor) fell completely down. It is of the type that screws onto a threaded base with a retaining bolt, and has the 3 wires coming down thru the base/tube. The wires were sheared off clean, and are not burned that i can observe. I will be removing the base to check the wires behind if neccersary. |What got me to thinking it was the breaker was the assumption that if wires were still crossed the power would attempt to cut on and then short the breaker when i flipped it on. This doesnt happen. All fixtures in the zone are without power. I had thought that no power at all with breaker on combined with breaker not kicking off when turned on would point towards either wiring of breaker, no power/ wiring problem before breaker box, or breaker having burned out itself. I am attacking all this with more logic then experience so im wondering if ive missed something or im not taking something into account. I appreciate any help, i love to learn, i love being able to fix things, and i love being able to help my mother out, so thanks ahead of time

Old 04-23-14, 11:06 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Paragraphs will help all of us understand. A good reason not to use a mobile device for posting. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html and remember if you use a mobile device rotating it may not change the orientation of the posted picture.

Old 04-23-14, 09:46 PM
J
what mobile device?

I'm sitting in front of my PC in my apt as usual, but i can pull some MLA format paragraphs out of my old college memory if you'd like. I wasn't able to take pictures as it was dark when i got there. Not sure what you would want a pic of. The only thing visible at this time is the ceiling fan base with the 3 sheared wires, positive, ground and neutral, hanging down and separated so they are not touching. Everything else in house appears as normal with no signs of damage. If i'm able to take a picture in daylight tomorrow, what would it be of?
I went over there this evening and was able to use my multimeter to establish that 120 is presently exiting properly from all circuit breakers, so the issue is not with the breaker. At this point i can only assume that the issue is behind the walls or receptacles, as there is no visual damage to the ceiling fan assemble other then the obviously sheared wires. The entire zone still is dead.
Is it possible that the entire zone could be down from damage caused by short circuit when the fan fell? If so why wasn't a breaker tripped and why are all the breakers still supplying power? I'm beginning to be baffled as I've eliminated every simple issue. No burned wires, No bad breakers, and still no power.

Old 04-23-14, 10:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,885 Upvotes on 3,482 Posts
If the mounting plate/base for the fan is still mounted.... remove it so you can see if there is a junction box there. If connections in that box aren't broken or if there is no box there.... you're going to have to figure out where the wire comes from.

Possible the weight of the fan pulled a connection apart where that cable connects.

If you know everything on that circuit then you can sort of figure out how the wiring is run.

Old 04-23-14, 10:09 PM
J
ok! for some dumb reason i assumed that since i saw the 3 sheared wires hanging down, that must be the only damage. I didn't think about checking connections behind the ceiling plate. I got a feeling your on to something! THANKS It sure helps to have some other perspectives on a problem. Sometimes it takes somebody else to see the one obvious thing you've over looked.

Old 04-23-14, 10:12 PM
J
quick question...

One question though.. Would a cable connection pulled apart in a 2nd floor bedroom still affect the other fixtures on that circuit that are on stairs and at top of basement stairs? I may be naive but i thought these things were wired so that if one went down the circuit was still completed at the other fixtures. I guess this is not the case?

Old 04-23-14, 10:32 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Disconnected conductors on the box the fan was mounted to will only affect the entire circuit id that is the first outlet the power for that circuit is fed to. That's possible. Once you have the box uncovered, tell us how many cables and wires are in the box, and we can go from there.

Where is the electrical panel in your mother's house?

Old 04-24-14, 06:07 AM
Received 716 Upvotes on 637 Posts
Surprised nobody metioned this before. But are there any GFIC's in the circuit? If tripped they will need to be reset. Just a thought.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: