Suspended Ceiling with smoke detector

Old 04-24-14, 09:36 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Suspended Ceiling with smoke detector

I have googled and failed so here I am DYI community. Im in the process of finishing a basement. Im stuck on the smoke alarm. My suspended ceiling is 3" below joist. Here are some pictures of the old alarm that I want to mount directly below on ceiling tile. I was wondering the correct method of mounting this alarm. I looked around Lowes the other day to see if they make a junction box that hung on suspended ceiling grid. I did not see anything and not sure if it exist. As you can see in the picture the wire to the alarm would stretch the 3" from the old box but then that would expose the wires and I assume that would not be right!.

Thanks

Attached Images   
Old 04-24-14, 10:21 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Smoke detectors and other devices that need to be mounted flush on a suspended ceiling are mounted to a metal box that is mounted to a hanger bar that's mounted to the T-bars that form the ceiling grid. The wiring is fed into the box using standard cable connectors.

Erico is probably the leading manufacturer of these. Everybody just calls them "Caddy bars." Here's one example: CADDY® T-Grid Box Hanger. You might need to get them from an electrical supply house, but the challenge will be to get them to sell you less than a case.

Have you checked at Home Depot? CADDY 24 in. Heavy-Duty Electrical Box Hanger

Old 04-24-14, 10:32 AM
E
I was going to run by Home Depot today, that looks like exactly what I need. I even checked out their website and missed that.

Thanks!

Old 04-24-14, 03:08 PM
E
I picked one up. I cant figure out how the clip(510HD) mounts to the box though Maybe I didnt buy the proper box that lines up with the tabs on the clip. Had my tired 5 year old with me was in a bit of a hurry.

Old 04-24-14, 03:51 PM
You picked up one like in Nash's link?

-Remove the center knockout on your o-box.
-Slip the pointed part of the clip up through the knockout from inside the box. The little tabs should fit into the small holes beside your knockout.
-Slip pointed end through the slit in the bar.
-Take a pair of pliers and turn the clip so it locks into place.
Done deal.

Old 04-24-14, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
You need to use either a steel octagon box, or a 4" square box with a mud ring. You knock out the center KO of the steel box, push the clip through the hole from the inside of the box and through the slot of the T-bar. Then twist the box 90 degrees to lock it in place.

If it was me, I would just use a remodel plastic box. A smoke detector is not that heavy.

Old 04-24-14, 04:41 PM
E
I did exactly like Mr. Awesome said to begin with. Problem I have come across you have to pinch the clip to get the tabs to go in the holes. Because the clip maintains that pinch position from the tabs being in the two holes the clip wont stay in the bracket. The tip becomes to narrow from being sqeezed.

That make sense?

Old 04-24-14, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
After you put it through the bracket, you need to rotate it 90 degrees so the clip can't fall back through the slot.

Old 04-24-14, 04:45 PM
E
Nevermind missed the twist part!

Thanks all

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: