Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

A sudden change from 120 volts to 130 Volts - Damaged my computers

Old 04-25-14, 10:36 AM

I am having a problem with the voltage being over +120 volts and a few months ago it changed to 130 volts through out the building and +150 volts in one socket in the apartment I am renting in. And now it's staying at that voltage and still is, even now. I first noticed the problem when I started to get blue screens of death, but it was not the hardware's fault because this computer was running fine, and it had a good power supply in it. i know this was because of the increase in voltage in the wiring that ruined my computer. Now that computer does not even power on anymore, and this computer I am using gets an amber light on the button sometimes (meaning there is an electrical problem).

I'm not sure what is causing the voltage to raise up, but my landlord checked the voltage with a multimeter and it measured out 130 volts. This extra 10 voltage did some damage to 3 of my computers and I tried them all on different sockets. I do not have the money to replace my computers. My neighbors computer (who is connected to the same circut breaker) also had power problems with his computer as well.

I was hoping either the landlord or someone could replace my damaged computer with a new one of equal value and also fix the electrical problem. I'm not sure who's at fault though, because my landlord did the wiring to the apartment himself. However when I was there with him when the apartment was first being built, the voltage was measured at 120 volts.

I'm not sure what would cause the voltage to suddenly go up inside the apartment. The landlord told me to e-mail or call progress energy.

Where else can I ask this question, are there any other forums that may be able to help me? Or who should I ask?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-14, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Call the emergency number for your electrical supplier. They will come out for free and check their side of the electrical system. It could be a loose neutral depending how its wired. Do you have a breaker box in your unit? Do you have any 240V outlets like a range or electric dryer? Are all outlets reading the high voltage, or just some?

If it's their side, they'll fix it, but don't count on any new PCs from them. Most PC's and other electronics can handle a wide voltage range...but frequency variations are not good.

Call your power company...now. The emergency number...not customer service.

Old 04-25-14, 11:07 AM
Readings up to 150V on a 120V circuit imply a loose neutral after oe in your panel - not on the POCO side.

But have them check their service first.

Old 04-25-14, 07:24 PM
The landlord told me to e-mail or call progress energy.
Also, ask them how to file a damage claim.

Old 04-25-14, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Casual Joe
Also, ask them how to file a damage claim.
I would file with the carrier for my renters insurance. I get my money right away. They can go after other folks to get it back. They're the pros, and that's one of the things they do for a living.

And if this loss isn't covered under the policy, I would (a) amend it so that never happens again, and (b) get all the advice I could squeeze out of them about who might be liable and the best wat for mr to go after them.

Old 04-25-14, 08:57 PM
If the landlord did wiring himself and that turned out to be faulty, you might check with the town offices to see whether the work had the proper permits and inspections.

The landlord might be liable for the consequences of faulty work.