Wiring pop-up camper

Old 04-25-14, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring pop-up camper

Hi - I am re-wiring my old (new to me) pop-up camper. I'm starting from scratch since the only that was in it when I got it is a 15 amp power cord wired directly to an outlet. I am getting a new 30 amp cord and converter box.

Besides price, is there any reason not to put in all 20 amp outlets? I will have an AC unit and probably a small TV, small refrigerator and maybe a laptop to plug in.

How may circuits should I break that into and will the outlets need to be GFI?

Also, the 30 amp cord I was looking at getting online is $130 for 25 feet. Is that price high or about right? Can I make one or get one somewhere else cheaper? This is the cord that would go from the campground hookup or generator to the converter box.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-14, 01:09 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Camper

Are you restoring the camper or are you adding additional 120 volt appliances?

Normally, in an rv the refrigerator and lights are 12 volt dc.

Old 04-25-14, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 519 Votes on 489 Posts
You can buy the rubber cord for your shore power line by the foot. It's 10-3 SJ or SO or SOOW.
Runs around 1.25/foot. Depot should have it on bulk rolls. The male and female caps should be less than 45.00 for the pair.
Cerrowire 250 ft. 10/3 SOOW Cord - Black-283-3803G1 at The Home Depot

Two to four circuits should be plenty. You want to keep the weight and bulk down. Install 15A circuits. Receptacles near sinks should be GFI protected.

You'll probably want to put some 12v stuff in too. Look to high output - low current draw LED lights.

Old 04-25-14, 06:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Actually the refrigerator usually runs on propane when you're off shore power.

Old 04-25-14, 07:36 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
is there any reason not to put in all 20 amp outlets?
The best reason is it would be a code violation to use 20 amp receptacles on 15 amp circuits, as has been suggested. The next reason is you won't have any appliances, lamps, etc that have a 20 amp plug, they'll typically be all residential grade stuff with 15 amp plugs.

Old 04-25-14, 08:52 PM
RV Wiring

You should look over Article 551 Recreational Vehicles. Only listed components should be used for RV wiring. You should be able to get a distribution panel for RV's that contains both the 120V breakers and the 12V fuses. That would be where your circuits would originate within the RV. Article 551.41 will tell you how to space your receptacles, where they should be located and which require GFCI protection. 551.43(C) will allow you to protect 15amp receptacles with a 20amp OC device as long as there is more than one receptacle on that circuit. That would be consistent with 210.20(B)(3). You might also consider looking at the Dual Rated fixtures that will have two light sources, one 120V and one 12V. It would be worth looking Article 551 over as you plan your installation.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 04-25-14 at 08:57 PM. Reason: our = your