Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

SPA topside unit resets when the high jets are turned off GFI is not tripped

Old 04-26-14, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a newer 110V SPA with new ACC components. After I use the SPA, with high speed jets on, I press the SET button which then is supposed to turn the pump to low speed jets and turn the FILTER light on, to filter for 30 sec and then go to the ECON mode. Instead the topside display resets, blinks on/off and changes the time to the factory default of 12:00, and sometimes changes the heat calibration and the 110v/220v preset. If there's a short in the system why doesn't the GFI trip? What's going on? Thanks, Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-14, 07:17 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
If there's a short in the system why doesn't the GFI trip?
GFI protection doesn't trip on a short unless you have a GFI breaker, GFI protection trips on inbalance between the hot conductors and the return path. You obviously don't don't have an inbalance. Do you have a GFI breaker? This sounds more like an electronic problem or interruption of power.

Old 04-29-14, 01:32 PM
GFI Breaker

I have a 20 amp breaker in the panel dedicated only for the SPA, 12 gauge wire runs to a GFI receptical with a button than trips to let current go to the SPA or not with another 12 gauge wire directly to the ACC control unit. Everything is grounded to the control unit which is grounded back to the panel. Do I need to ground the control unit to earth?

Old 04-29-14, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 382 Votes on 359 Posts
It sounds more like an internal logic problem then a power problem.

Have you tried contacting the spa manufacturer first ?

I'm not understanding your wiring. Your spa should plug into a GFI receptacle. Are you saying the spa has two connections to AC power ?

Old 04-29-14, 02:30 PM
Spa

I've contacted the manufacturer, they claim its a power surge, they recommended rewiring to eliminate the molded breaker at the end of a 15 amp cord, I then put in the 20amp GFI , instead of a the outdoor receptacle, and wired it to the SPA, so its all 20amp/12 gauge wire to the SPA. One source of AC, panel to GFI to spa control unit. It shuts down for about 1-2 seconds when I push the SET button on the topside, as I said originally, it flashes 3.BAC, then the low jets and heater come on and it goes through its normal sequence.

Old 04-29-14, 03:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 382 Votes on 359 Posts
A "power surge"..... means absolutely nothing. It's what they tell you when they haven't a clue what the problem is.

If you feel you have a voltage surge/drop problem then you need to connect an analog not a digital meter to the 120vac line at the spa. You need to watch the meter and see if it drops when activating the spa.

I use an oscilloscope to watch the power but you probably won't have one of them around.

Old 04-29-14, 03:10 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
they recommended rewiring to eliminate the molded breaker at the end of a 15 amp cord
That is not a breaker and should not be removed. It is an RCD that detects faults in the insulation of the individual wires of the cord. You can replace the entire cord set with a new cord and RCD if the RCD is defective but you should never remove a required safety feature. I doubt though it is the RCD unless the RCD is tripping.