Kitchen Island circuit question

Old 04-27-14, 08:53 AM
Kitchen Island circuit question

I am buttoning up all my electrical at the new house (thanks gain for all of you who have answered questions in the past BTW) and am ready to install my receptacle on the kitchen Island. I have a "L" shaped kitchen, one of my SABC's serves one wall and is protected by a GFCI receptacle, I would like to feed my second SABC on the short wall of the "L" (only one receptacle) from a GFCI on the Island. Is that permitted?

Wes

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-14, 08:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, all the receptacles including the island must fall under the SABC rule, and you must have two, so you should be good to go.

Old 04-27-14, 09:49 AM
chandler
Yes, all the receptacles including the island must fall under the SABC rule, and you must have two, so you should be good to go.
Thanks! Any suggestions on box type and wire type for putting the receptacle in?

I assume a old work plastic box and unprotected romex will not cut it. Would flexible steel conduit and a metal box be best?

Old 04-27-14, 10:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yep, door #2. Must be protected, and it will only fit a metal box. #12 wire for 20 amp circuit. You could use gray pvc conduit and a plastic box with fittings.

Old 04-27-14, 10:46 AM
Thanks again,

I have plenty of 3/4" FCM and fittings around, I'll grab a box and some #12 THHN tonight.

Old 04-27-14, 12:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Watch the depth of the box on the island so it does not hit the drawers.

Old 04-27-14, 01:09 PM
I have already made provisions to get the box installed w/o hitting the drawers (perks to installing all the cabinets myself!)

As far as conduit goes, can I run fnmc in between metal boxes? (I have a lot of it from a previous project) I have the appropriate fittings for the fnmc. Can they be used with metal boxes?

Wes

Old 04-27-14, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
Can they be used with metal boxes?
Yes, just be sure to connect the ground of the NM cable to the metal box using a ground screw, ground lead, or clip.

Old 04-27-14, 01:16 PM
Perfect, Boxes have ground screws already.

Is it allowed to pull romex through fnmc? Or should I go out and buy a few small spools of solid thhn?

Old 04-27-14, 01:41 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, you can pull NM cable through conduit and use the conduit for protection of the cable. For an entire job I would suggest individual wires, but for a short section it should be fine.

I should ask, what are you calling FNMC? Is it ENT (electrical nonmetallic tubing AKA:smurf pipe) or LFNC? (Liquid tight nonmetallic conduit)

Old 04-27-14, 01:50 PM
It's LFNC, not smurf tube.